Treachery

"Link, he's dead."

Link stared at Tirai, eyes wide and lips parted as if he were about to respond. His mind seemed to have slowed to a crawl as it processed what she said and the meaning of it. The woods seemed to have stopped simply to listen to her expressionless yet terrifying words, for the birds were completely silent and no breeze blew.

Finally, it seemed to click in Link's head. The realization was slow and painful. "You're joking, right?" he finally said.

He refused to believe it; how could Ghirahim die? He was a man that could survive being stabbed several times in the chest. He'd endured pain beyond anything Link had ever experienced without passing out. He was stronger than Link in ways that made the hero question how he'd ever won in a battle against him, yet here he was, finding it hard to believe that Ghirahim's body had simply quit on him. Even though the sword had looked horrible last time he saw it, he hadn't expected him to die so quickly.

Everyone was silent for a long time, staring at him with painful expressions. Fukira, who obviously preferred Zelda's presence over Link's, gave him a look of pity. The other Picori that were scattered about looked away, all knowing that he wouldn't take Ghirahim's death well. The hero was already in denial, expecting him to jump out at any moment, laughing at his horrified expression, and for Tirai to maybe even crack a smile. He'd convinced himself that this was all a joke, albeit one that seemed out of character, and that in a few moments Ghirahim would appear and everything would go on as normal.

However, the woods remained still, and no one jumped out of bushes or cracked even a hint of a smile.

"I'm sorry, Link," Tirai finally said. "I wish I was."

Regret threatened to fill Link, to drown everything inside. He hadn't treated the demon too kindly last time he saw him.

Link couldn't believe her; there was no way Ghirahim was dead. He turned to Zelda. "You left him there, didn't you?" Link said, curling his hands into a trembling fists. "Because he threatened to tell me. You couldn't have him around anymore." Tears welled up in his eyes, blurring his vision.

A dead silence fell on the group as they stared at him, eyes wide, mouths open in large Os, bodies drawn back in shock. Even Tirai's eyes were wide with surprise.

Zelda gently pushed Groose's arm off, quietly insisting that she was fine and could stand on her own. Then she took a step towards Link, calm. For now. "Link, you know I would never do that."

"I don't believe you," His voice was more lethal than poison. He felt a sort of satisfaction that he wouldn't have at felt any other time when she winced at his words. He was angry, and when he was angry, he either remained quiet and avoided you or he became a killing machine. And at that moment he was a killing machine.

"What did I do to you, Link?" Zelda asked. "Tell me, what did I do to deserve this?"

"Oh, you lied to me," Link answered, narrowing his eyes. "You wanna tell me what I did to deserve that?"

"You did nothing, but--"

Link raised his voice to a yell, grabbing the attention of anyone nearby. "Then tell me what actually happened in the desert! Tell me why there was a sealing spike! Tell me the real reason you were unconscious! Tell me the truth, all of it!"

"That was over a month ago," Zelda said, but she looked afraid. Of what? Of telling him?

"I don't care," Link seethed. "I remember that like it was yesterday."

Zelda pursed her lips, tears glistening in her eyes.

"Why're you lying to me? Why?" Link pressed, taking a step towards her.