Into the Fields

Since Zelda left, Gaepora took her place as the leader of them all. If you had a problem, you talked to him about it. And Link had a problem.

A dead body had been found, and there was reason to believe that Zelda was in danger.

The clock on the nightstand ticked, sounding almost as if it was counting down the seconds down until something happened, perhaps the seconds until the world was thrown into peril. The silence was tense, Gaepora's eyes baring into Link's.

"A dead body, you say?" the headmaster said after a few minutes, his voice wavering. He was pale, his wrinkly skin almost as white as his hair. "Just outside the west side of the village? The victim is Cawlin?"

Link nodded, feeling clammy. "Killed by a monster."

The faint light of dawn hardly lit up Gaepora's room. Gaepora himself stood in front of Link, his arms clasped behind his back. Link sat on the bed, his sword between his legs.

"I..." Gaepora stopped when he noticed his voice shaking. After clearing his throat, he continued. "I'll send someone to retrieve the body. And I'll heighten security. If you're not feeling too well, I'll relieve you of your duties for a few days."

Link sighed, his gaze trailing down towards the blade between his legs. "About that...I'm going to go after Zelda."

Gaepora's mouth curved into a frown. Link was the strongest in the village and they both knew it. Gaepora didn't want him to leave because of that. "Link, we aren't even sure if it was a monster. You didn't witness the murder."

I should have expected this. "You think just because I didn't see it I don't know?" Link snapped, looking up to meet his eyes. "The skulltulas, which are natural, only attack us because they think we're food. But this wasn't anything like that. He was torn to shreds, but whatever it was had enough of a mind to let us see his face before he died." A wave of nausea washed over Link at the memory. "But everything was still nearby. He...he wasn't missing any parts."

"Whatever it was it could have been defending its territory. Several people have found out the hard way that these forest animals are very protective of their homes," Gaepora said, frowning at Link's outburst.

"Then I would have been attacked as well," Link retorted rather quickly. "And, again, his face. There wasn't a single scratch." A fierce determination shone in Link's blue eyes. Whether Gaepora liked it or not, he was going after Zelda.

Defeated, Gaepora said nothing more on what had killed Cawlin. "Link, I believe Zelda is fine. She's a trained knight just like you; she can defend herself. Although it may have been a monster, it appears the problem is only minor. There is no need to worry."

Link stood up, his fists clenched. "You and I both know that I was given the task of protecting Zelda so long as she is in danger. Even if the Demon King is dead, I have to make sure she's safe. I'm going after her. If everything is fine, I'll come back within a few days. If not...I'll be in the desert with your daughter."

With that said, Link turned and walked out of the house, heading back to the spot where he'd left Ghirahim. Gaepora said something like "Come back!" but he ignored him.

He had to go after her. Zelda meant so much to him. He couldn't bear to lose her...

--

Before returning to Ghirahim, Link had paid his house a visit to grab things he needed for the journey then his weapons. As he headed back to the demon, he looked around the village, at the children who ran and played with their parents or other children. His mind trailed towards the monster, towards the bloody scene he'd found the night before. Didn't the monsters have a leader? If so, who was the leader of that one?