Chapter 1

I was happy. Everyone around me was happy. No one had ever hit me. No one had ever yelled at me. Life was perfect. Then I woke up. I woke up and the horrible nightmare that is reality is now my life.

I shot up out of bed, panting and sweating. I swung my feet over the edge of my bed and reached over to my nightstand to grab the bottle of water that I always kept there specifically for this reason. I picked up my phone and check the time: 2:32AM. I gulped down some water and then lay back down with my phone in my hand. I didn't bother checking any social media platforms since it was limbo time, you know, the time between midnight and 6AM where nothing really gets updated and there's no one to talk to? Well I know limbo time very well because it's where I feel like I've lived for the past three years. If I wasn't in limbo time, I was having nightmares, well more like flashbacks. I shuddered at the thought of them.

I swung my legs back over the edge of my bed and got up. I shuffled my way to kitchen where I flicked the light switch up and turned on my coffee pot. I lifted up the part where people normally put little K cups that make coffee but I just placed a filter in there, then grabbed a mug and hot chocolate packet from my cupboard and let the hot water filter through the machine and into my mug. I leaned onto the counter that was opposite of the one the coffee machine sat on and I stared at the water falling into the mug until I felt something squeaking from the other room. Ugh.

"Why now, Phil?" I asked as I walked over to the cage that sat on my living room floor on top of an old blanket. I walked over to the cage that was about four feet tall and I opened the door that was closest to the top and held my arm inside. I felt the soft feet of my ferret Phillip start moving across my arm and then stop on my shoulder. He liked to ride around on my shoulder a lot and get to see the house since he really only got to see the one corner of the living room when I was asleep or not home.

I walked back into the kitchen and grabbed the hot chocolate packet off the counter and poured it into my mug with "I <3 San Francisco" written all over it. I reached into my drawer and grabbed out a spoon and started to stir the powder into the hot water. I dipped my finger into the mug and held it up to Phil for him to taste, like he always wanted when I made hot chocolate. I heard him squeak happily and I giggled then sipped some hot chocolate for myself. I felt myself warm up and all the nightmares were washed out and replaced with happy thoughts of cold winter nights, curled up with a good book and, yes: hot chocolate, it's always been my sure fire way of calming myself down.

I finished up the hot chocolate and noticed that Phil had fallen asleep on my shoulder so I put the mug in the sink and grabbed Phil off my shoulder gently. I cradled him in my one arm and opened his cage door with the other then I placed him inside in cage, specifically in his hammock that was his favorite spot to lie around. I smiled as he curled up into a tight ball and then peacefully continued sleeping.

I trudged up the stairs to my room and picked up my phone again. 3:06AM. I giggled because it took me half an hour to drink just one mug of hot chocolate but then got into bed and pulled the blankets up to my chin and curled into a ball, much like Phil like to do in his hammock. I grabbed my earbud from my bedside table and then plugged them into phone then placed them in my ears and started to listen to "What a Catch, Donnie" by Fall Out Boy which normally lulled me to sleep very well.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I woke up and found that I had kicked my blankets off in the middle of the night and they were sprawled all over my bed, tangled up in my legs a bit. I freed myself from the tangled up mess that was my bed and then headed downstairs, grabbing a hair tie as I exited my room and pulling up my faded blue hair as I walked down the hallway. I reached the bottom of the stairs and there immediately came squeaking from the corner in my living room.

"Phil, you know that the first thing I do when I come downstairs every single day is take you out of your cage, so I don't really think you need to remind me anymore buddy," I said to my pet as I pulled him out and set him on the ground because I know he loves being able to walk right alongside me like a well behaved dog would, except Phil would occasionally try to climb up my leg and get to my shoulder unlike a well behaved dog would.

I grabbed two bowls out of my cupboard then walked over to the cupboards beneath my counters and grabbed out a box of generic cereal and some ferret food. I poured some cereal into both bowls and then filled one up with a bit of ferret food. I walked over to the fridge and grabbed out the milk, making sure to pour it into the bowl with just cereal inside since Phil didn't particularly care for milk with his cereal which left more milk for me I suppose. I grabbed a spoon for myself and then walked over to the table in the dining room with Phil at my heel. I set a bowl in front of my seat and the other in Phil's seat which yes, I did call it Phil's seat because he was the only person who sat there on a regular basis, a daily basis actually. I started to eat my cereal as Phil climbed his chair and made his way onto the table so he could reach his breakfast as well. I scrolled through Twitter on my phone and saw the boring news like I always did and scrolled past it until I saw a Buzzfeed quiz called "How Well Do You Know Your Pet?" I laughed already knowing that I would ace it and took it anyways because the questions can be pretty hilarious on Buzzfeed. 

After breakfast was finished and cleaned up, I brought Phil up to my room with me and got dressed in a maroon colored tee shirt, high-waisted black shorts with white music notes scattered about them, and a pair of white Converse All Stars, and a black beanie to top it all off. I pulled my hair into a side braid that fell right over my shoulder and then put on my silver necklace with a bird pendant on like I did every day and smiled in the mirror.

I went back downstairs with Phil cradled in my arm and placed him back in his cage after filling up his food bowl, making sure he had plenty to eat while I was out for the day. I walked over to the front door, grabbed my jacket off of the hook I always kept in on my the door and picked up my ukulele from where I left it yesterday, right beside my door since I hadn't gotten the chance to practice any new songs. I put on the jacket, then placed my ukulele in its case on my back and stepped out of my door on to the bustling streets of San Francisco.

A/N: So I know it's taken forever, but I finally published some of my Josh Dun fanfiction that I promised to write, I hope you guys enjoyed, please vote and comment! Thanks for reading! <3