Chapter 8

I let my eyelids lift up a bit but immediately put my hands over them after the light hit them. I rolled over searching for my phone but it wasn't on  my desk or wrapped up in my comforter. I got up and checked the clock I had sitting on top of my dresser and saw that it was ten at night. I ran downstairs to check on Phil and make sure he had eaten something after I had fallen asleep, whenever that was. Now that I think about it, I don't even remember falling asleep.

I got to the bottom of the steps to see two boys fast asleep in my living room with Jurassic Park playing on the TV. I turned the TV off and walked over to Tyler who seemed to be shaking a bit and curled up to himself tightly, so I walked over to the other side of the room and grabbed my warmest blanket for him. I placed it over him gently so that he wouldn't wake up and then I made my way towards Josh. I wanted to curl up next to him and fall asleep in his arms but I knew I wouldn't be able to do so without waking him.

Instead, I just sat down next to him and brushed a few stray hairs away from his face. I went to placed a light kiss on his forehead but I was met with another pair of lips instead. I took a deep breath in through my nose and smiled into Josh's lips. I felt him sit up so that we could be eye level but then he stood up and picked me up bridal style in his arms. I laughed as we broke the kiss for a moment but then he pressed his lips back against mine and I smiled again.

"You two should really go back to your own homes, I can take care of myself..." I said with a concerned look as I broke away from the kiss. Josh sighed and then pushed a few stray hairs behind my ear.

"Promise we'll still keep in touch though?" Josh asked.

"What do you mean? I though you had a house here in San Fransisco." I said as I stood up and started backing away from Josh.

"That was just temporary, Tyler and I were supposed to go home to Ohio yesterday and get ready for tour; I'm sorry I didn't tell you earlier but you still seemed upset over your whole hospital stay I just couldn't do it..." Josh slid to the other end of the couch to get closer to me. He reached out for my hand but I pulled back as a reflex.

"Tour?" I asked, still trying to take everything in.

"Tyler and I are going on tour with our band... a lot happened while you were at the hospital, I'm sorry..." Josh stood up and moved closer and I stepped back again.

"Josh please stop, you're making me uncomfortable by moving closer..." I said as I held up my hands and backed away again. There was some muffled speech coming from the other couch and then I remembered Tyler and looked over to see him turning in his sleep.

"Told you you should've just let me do this..." Tyler said as he pushed himself up off the couch, apparently he had been listening to the entire conversation. Tyler walked over to me but made sure to keep his distance and gave me a sympathetic look. "I'm sorry Ruby, if it will make you feel any better, I can give you my girlfriend's number, she's gone through this before, the whole tour thing," he said without breaking eye contact. I just walked over and hugged him, nodding into his chest. He rubbed my back and I let out a deep breath, trying to pretend that this was just a dream.

"I'm so sorry..." Josh got slightly close but just enough to put his hand on my back as comfort. I pulled away from Tyler and turned to hug Josh, I couldn't stay mad at him, heck I was trying to date him. I felt a few tears run down my face and then they seeped into Josh's shirt. He pulled away from the hug and used his thumb to brush away the tears that were now streaming down my face. He let his hands rest on my cheeks and then pulled my head closer so he could plant a kiss on my forehead.

"I just thought for once I had someone in my life who was gonna stick around..." I said through sniffles even though I felt really guilty about it. I looked up at Josh who was staring right at Tyler and they both had the same expression on their face. Before I could process what any of it meant, Josh grabbed me by the hand and pulled me up the stairs and into my room.

"Josh!" I yelled as I tried to break free of his grip on my hand. "Stop you're scaring me please..." I yelled. I had forgotten about why I had been in the hospital for so long.

"I'm sorry Ruby I didn't mean it like that I just... come on tour with us. Please." Josh was looking at me with puppy dog eyes as I tried to stutter out an answer. Josh stepped closer and placed a long kiss on my lips while he cupped my face in his hands.

"Ruby... come on tour with me." I noticed how he asked using "me" instead of "us" this time.

"Josh... I- I have a life here, in San Francisco, I can't just drop it and leave on tour like this... I'm sorry Josh..." I didn't want to say no but this wasn't a fairy tale where I can just drop everything in my life for someone I kinda like.

"Okay I understand... but Ruby?" Josh asked as he looked into my eyes.

"Yeah?" I stepped a bit closer to him.

"Will you be my girlfriend?" Josh whispered as if he didn't want anyone else to hear, only me.

"When you get back from tour... yes." Again, not the answer I wanted to give but I also didn't want to start a relationship by making it long distance.

"I've never not wanted to go on a tour so badly," Josh laughed and smiled at me then pulled me into another embrace and rocked back and forth a little bit.

"I'll miss you but you will make a lot of other screaming girls happy, I promise."

A/N:

Hellllllo everyone!! I'm back and ready to write for a while I hope!! My life got so crazy really quickly and I never got the chance to write so maybe this summer I will pick it back up again! Anyways thanks for reading!!

-Hayley