Chapter 2

I turned around and locked my door, then put the key in the pocket of my ukulele case. I whistled as I walked down the steep slopes where my home resided. It wasn't a particular song, just a little tune that I came up with during the time that I spent walking down the streets of lovely San Fran. I strolled down to Fisherman's Warf, one of the most tourist populated places in the entire city, I found an open spot around some benches and took the uku off my back. I never liked the idea of people putting money directly in my case, which is why I wore a beanie, or some other hat every time I came down to the Warf. I put the case on my back and let my beanie rest on the sidewalk in front of me.

I plucked each string to make sure the instrument was still in tune, which was always since I played it nearly every day.  I strummed through a bit of a warm up softly so that no one could hear unless they were about three inches away from me. I gradually got louder as I started to strum the chords to a familiar song that most people knew when I played.

Wise men say...

Only fools rush in...

A few people stood around, others on the benches started to give me their attention, I was looking down like always but I smiled to myself and kept playing.

But I can't help falling in love with you...

I played through the rest of the song and a few people had dropped some change in my beanie and I think I even saw a five dollar bill get dropped in. I played through a few more popular songs that weren't personally my favorites but it's what people liked so I played them more in the hopes of someone to recognizing it and walking over.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After about two hours of playing, I picked up in the beanie and walked over to an open seat on one of the benches. I started taking the earnings out of the beanie and placing them in the pocket of my ukulele case, counting it as I transferred it over. In the end, I got $24.50. It was a bit more than a normal day, so I decided to stop at my favorite coffee shop on the way home. I never liked coffee but luckily for me, this coffee shop also made phenomenal hot chocolate. I started to feel all jittery inside and I almost jogged my way to the coffee shop.

I pushed open the door and heard the familiar little jingle of the bell that was on the door. I smiled at the cashier who seemed to always be there when I wanted a hot chocolate, she smiled back warmly.

"It's been a while Ruby," she says turning around and started to make my hot chocolate because she had grown all too familiar with my order.

"Sorry Elizabeth, I know it's been a while and I made some extra earnings today so I figured a visit to the shop was much needed,"

"Agreed; and for the last time Ruby, call me Liz," Elizabeth said as she handed me over my hot chocolate with my name written very elegantly on the cup. I smiled and she gave me a wink. I walked over to my normal spot in a booth that was near the back of the shop and kinda of tucked in the corner.

The shop wasn't too crowded, only a few other people besides me and some more people began to file in after me. Including one particular person that stood out to me, he had pink hair that looked curly but was very messed up as well. I stared at his hair for a few moments but looked away before it started to look creepy to him and other people around me. I pulled out my phone and started to scroll through Twitter yet again because it was about the only thing that kept me occupied besides playing the ukulele which I never liked to anywhere besides home and on the street corners. I was just scrolling until I saw something move in front of me. I looked up and someone had taken the seat across from me.

"Hello," I said, setting down my phone and folded my hands on the table.

"Hey, I think I heard you playing earlier but I couldn't get a very good look. Were you by chance playing down by Fisherman's Warf a while ago? Possibly playing "Can't Help Falling in Love" by Elvis?" he asked, not giving me a chance to answer between questions.

"Well I can assure you that that was me, the Warf tends to be my spot," I said as he smiled and I laughed a little. "Do you mind me asking why you were so interested?" I asked after the laughter cleared up.

"Well it sounded really good and I'm quite the ukulele fanatic myself," he said and this peaked my interest a bit more.

"Well Mr. Ukulele Fanatic, might I have the pleasure of learning your name?" I asked, trying to add a bit of humor.

"Tyler Joseph's the name and might I have the pleasure of learning your name Miss Ukulele Fanatic?" Tyler asked.

"Ruby Forest's the name Mr. Joseph," I said, keeping up the whole Mr. and Miss thing. Just then, the pink haired boy made is way over and slid into the booth next to Tyler.

"Well since Tyler has completely forgotten about me I'll introduced myself to both of you: Joshua Dun, professional five-year-old," the pink haired boy said before he gave me a large, cheesy grin.

"Well I'm glad I'm dealing with a professional here," I said. "Those amateurs are just plain annoying." Both Tyler and Josh laughed and I joined in with them. Before I knew it, I had spent almost an hour and a half in the coffee shop and I had completely forgotten about Phil.

"Oh gosh, Phil's been home alone all day," I said out loud as I stood up, startling the boys. "Sorry guys, Phil is my ferret and he normally doesn't like being left alone for all that long. I should really get back to him, sorry," I said as I started to walk towards the door.

"Wait Ruby, could we maybe do this again?" Josh said, jogging to catch up to me. "I mean all three of us hang out together," he added nervously.

"Yeah, yeah, umm..." I frantically looked around for something when Elizabeth handed me a pen and napkin and I scribbled down my cell phone number quickly before handing to Josh and jogging out of the shop and speed walking down the sidewalk, heading to my house which wasn't all that far from the coffee shop.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Phil!" I called as soon as I shut the door to my house and I heard some quiet squeaking from the living room. "Phil?" I asked this time, as if my ferret would respond. I briskly walked over to the cage and reached inside for Phil; he came scurrying out and nuzzled up close to my face and let out a little whimper. "I'm sorry Phil, I didn't realize I'd be out that long," I said, feeling guilty for leaving my pet home alone all day but I also felt a bit ridiculous for apologizing to my pet ferret. I didn't like to leave Phil home alone because he has been my best friend since I moved out to live in California three years ago. I was making some hot chocolate to try and calm my nerves and ease my mind when I felt my phone buzz in my back pocket.

J: Hey Ruby, how is your ferret doing? It's Josh btw. Let me know when you get this message!!!

R: Hey Josh, sorry I had to rush out of the coffee shop so quickly, Phil has been really important to me for the past few years now but he's okay.

J: It's totally fine, Tyler and I had a really fun time hanging out with you, would you like to do it again sometime soon?

R: Of course!  Maybe you guys would want to meet Phil? He's not shy at all

J: Sounds like a plan! Is tomorrow around 3-ish okay?

I looked up from my phone and saw the mess that was my home before me...

R: Yeah sounds great! See you then!

What did I just get myself into?

A/N:

I'm sorry to everyone for never updating, school just hit me a lot harder than I expected it too so I'll try to publish when I can but don't expect a schedule any time soon. ;(

-Hay