Prologue

Anastasia had been alone all her life. Being the product of a teenage pregnancy, she was promptly given up for adoption within minutes of her birth. She'd been bouncing from orphanage to orphanage, foster home to foster home, and yet, in her short time on this earth, she hadn't been adopted once. She didn't know why this was the way it was, but eventually, she grew used to it. She grew to learn that she wasn't to grow attached to anyone, as they would eventually be ripped away from her. Just as they always had been in the past.

Everyone that she'd grown to love and have a relationship with had been mercilessly and unfairly ended within minutes. You see, Anastasia's social workers did everything they could to help her get adopted. They didn't understand why everyone else in her age range did, eventually, but not her. So, they settled on moving her around from place to place, in hope that she would finally find her forever home. Little did they know, that by doing this, they were only raising Anastasia's walls higher, and making her chances of getting adopted slimmer by the second.

That was where famous 5 Seconds of Summer bassist, Calum Hood, came in. Ever since moving to Los Angeles in order for the band's career to flourish, he'd been... Well, lonely. At first, he thought that it was just him missing his family or old friends from back home, maybe even the fact that he still hadn't gotten the dog he'd always wanted. But then he realized that it was none of that. Calum wanted someone to love. Someone to take care of. And after a lot of soul searching, along with long conversations with his band, family, and management team, he'd come to the conclusion that adoption was exactly the right option for him.

So the young man went through countless amounts of paperwork, home visits, background checks, meetings, a fair amount of suspicion, and more, until he was finally eligible to adopt a little one of his own. So when he walked into yet another meeting with a local agency, he couldn't help the smile that spread across his face. He couldn't help it. That whole year process was paying off, and it was worth it.

"So," The red headed woman spoke, crossing her legs in front of the young man. "Remind me why you want to adopt again?"

Calum had grown used to this question by now. In fact, he grew to expect it. The smile on his face never faltered.

"I want someone to take care of and to love." He answered simply. "Someone that needs that kind of positive reinforcement in their lives."

"Why not have a kid of your own, then?" The woman asked again, pushing at the boy to reveal his intentions. "You're obviously young, handsome, and talented from what I've heard. I can imagine that many girls would be happy to bear your offspring, or even a girlfriend of some sort."

Calum had also grown used to this question as well. It was one that he frequently asked himself before he came to the decision of adopting. But after he did some research of his own, there was no question.

"There is an astounding amount of children in this country alone who are in the foster care system. Just over 415,000, to be exact. I... I feel that it would be unfair of me not to use my resources to help someone ― some child ― get the life and loving household that they deserve." He spoke eloquently. "And, to address your previous remarks, I am not in a relationship, nor do I plan to be in one. With my occupation, things like romance is strained, and never ends well for either of the people partaking."

As much as she didn't want to say it aloud, the firey haired woman was impressed at his answer.

"You say that with your occupation, things like romantic involvement are strained. How might that be any different with a child?"

"My team, my band, and I would make sure she had everything she needed. A bed to sleep in, toys to play with, online schooling for when we're not home, attention, protection, supervision, not to mention a warm, welcoming environment filled with love and music. It would also give the child a chance to see the world and all of it's wonders."

"And if the child does not want to?"

"Then my parents would be more than happy to take care of them for the time being, until I am able to come home again."

Once again, she was impressed.

"You're very well prepared for this, Mr. Hood." She spoke, opening up the binder that sat on her lap.

"Well, I know what I want."

Looking through all the paperwork that she knew was well in order, she lifted her glasses off of the bridge of her nose to get a look at the man before her.

"Is there a specific age group you'd like?"

Calum felt the smile on his face creep back up, letting out a little sigh of relief, nodding at the woman happily.

"Yes," he chuckled. "Anywhere from 4-7 would be amazing."

The woman nodded, checking off a box in the form.

"Specific gender?"

"I've always wanted a daughter, thank you."

"Ethnicity?"

"Couldn't care less!"

And from there, they answered multiple other questions concerning the child's looks, then it went to the part that made Calum almost sick to his stomach.

"Would you take in a child with emotional issues or mental illness? Such as issues concerning abandonment, PTSD, self harm, eating disorders, night terrors, etc.?"

Calum wanted to ask what kind of monster would hurt a child into having such issues. He wanted to get the location of each one of those monsters and lock them up forever and ever without any chance of release. He wanted to take all of the children in and show them that there was hope out there, and that there was love. But, he bit his tongue, not wanting to say anything that would ruin his chances of finally adopting a child after this long.

"Yes." He answered strongly instead, nodding for emphasis. "A million times, yes. No question."

The woman nodded and checked yet another box.

"And children who have health problems? Such as asthma, birth defects, allergies, learning problems, etc.?"

"Yes."

"And children with problems concerning sight, hearing, or speech?"

"Of course."

And around a half our later, the pair were through, and the woman closed up her binder.

"Alright then, Mr. Hood," The woman smiled, standing up, causing Calum to follow in suit. "We'll get into contact with you within 5-10 business days with a potential match. If you have any further questions, requests, or something that you'd like to change your mind on, feel free to call."

"Thank you," he said sincerely, shaking her hand. "I will. Thank you so much."

And with that, Calum left the agency with a smile that could put the sun to shame.