11

"Come here, bug," Calum stated before he and the boys sat down to eat.

Seeing her make her way over to him, he crouched down before her and placed a gentle hand on her shoulder.

"You okay? I know this is a lot to take in right now." He asked quietly.

Anastasia nodded, assuring Calum of what he hoped to hear.

"So you like Luke and Michael then?" He asked again, receiving a blush and a slower nod.

"That's good, bug, because they're gonna be over a lot. Is that okay?"

"Yes." She spoke softly, yet confidently. "I like them, they're nice."

Breaking into a grin, he nodded and chuckled.

"I'm glad. And just remember, if you suddenly feel bad or scared or need anything, tell me, okay?" Calum reminded her for the billionth time. "Now, are you hungry?"

Nodding, Anastasia allowed to Calum to take her hand after he'd stood up again, leading them into the kitchen where the other boys were, having a blast.

"There she is!" Michael said loudly and happily, making Anastasia's cheeks to burst with a flaming blush. "My best girl!"

"Mike, you've known her for a day," Ashton chuckled, sipping his beer.

"So? She's still my best girl." Michael smiled, picking her up and setting her on his hip, smiling brightly.

"Be careful!" Calum warned as he did so, making them laugh at his protective-ness. "She's a child, not a toy."

"Yeah, yeah, we know," Luke grinned, turning to his best friend. "But she's in good hands."

"God, I hope so." Calum murmured, so low that no one heard it.

So the little family continued to prepare dinner quickly before getting all settled in at the table. It was filled with light chatter and banter between the boys, with an occasional giggle or word from Anastasia, and everything was going perfectly. Until Luke had to open his big mouth. Again.

"So, Anastasia, how's school?" He asked after chewing a piece of his steak.

The boys all watched as her smile fell, making all of their brows furrow in concern.

"I don't like school." She stated.

"Why not? Learning is fun!" Ashton chimed in.

"Yeah, love, knowledge is power!" Michael added on.

Anastasia shrugged and pushed around her food, no longer feeling hungry.

"Is everything alright, bug?" Calum asked quietly, trying his hardest not to embarrass her.

"Yes."

Lie. Calum knew it was a lie. She was five years old and she was already lying to her father, and Calum would be lying as well if he said he wasn't slightly hurt.

But nevertheless, Calum simply made a note to mention it later, and dinner continued. The small family picked up where they had left off, cracking jokes and eating food, just having a great time in general. Then, the topic of tour came up.

"Are you excited for tour?" Michael enthused, looking between his band mates. "Because I can't wait until we can get back out there on stage again!"

"What's tour?" Anastasia asked curiously, looking to her father.

"Remember how I'm in a band, bug?" Anastasia nodded. "Well, a tour is where we travel all around the world and play our music to people. Cool, huh?"