6

After the grand tour of the house,  Calum discovered that his band mate had made some home made pasta for them. If there wad a moment in which he was thankful for his best friend, it would be right now.

"Hey, Anastasia," Ashton began as they entered the kitchen. "Do you like spaghetti?"

The little girl shyly nodded, still gripping onto the younger man's hand.

"Well how about you get settled in at the table, and Calum and I get everything ready. Is that good?" Ashton asked again.

Recieving another obedient nod, Calum smiled a bit and picked her up, setting her on his hip and walking them to the dining room, pulling out the chair next to his and setting her down, tucking a napkin into her shirt quickly during the process before pushing her chair in.

"What do you want to drink, bug?" Calum asked upon entering the kitchen again, opening the fridge. "We have milk, orange juice, apple juice, and water."

"Milk, please." She spoke, earning a nod.

"And you, Ashton?"

"I'll take a beer, thanks."

Calum had stocked up on children's cutlery and dishes shamelessly after finding out that he was adopting Anastasia, so he took one of her new cups and filled it up halfway, before grabbing one beer and a bottle of water and making his way back to the table.

"Thank you." She muttered, looking down at her legs shyly.

"You're welcome. Are you hungry?"

Nodding more enthusiastically, Calum smiled once again and went back to the kitchen where Ashton was already pouring sauce on three plates, one smaller than the others.

Thanking him, Calum took his and Anastasia's plates along with forks whilst Ashton took his own back to the table, all of them sitting at their designated seats. Calum handed out the forks, giving Anastasia one that had Olaf from Frozen printed on it.

"So, Anastasia," Ashton began, grinning at the little tyke. "Do you like it here?"

"Yes. I like it very much."

"I'm glad to hear that. Do you like your room?"

Anastasia blushed at all the attention that was being given to her, once again leaning into Calum's side.

She liked Calum. She knew Calum. Calum was safe.

"She loves it, along with all her new toys." Calum answered for her, yet again wrapping an arm around her and rubbing her's lightly. "Although she's not quite big enough for the bed yet. But that's okay, our little bug will grow, won't she?"

Tickling her side whilst speaking, she giggled uncontrollably, melting the boys' hearts in the process.

The little family continued eating in silence, the only sounds being that of forks against their plates. That was until she accidentally spilled her milk, drenching herself and the floor.

"Oh, bug," Calum chuckled softly, pushing his and her chair out whilst Ashton got up and got some paper towels.

"I-I'm sorry..." She whimpered, lip trembling. "I-I didn't mean to ― I promise!"

Calum's brows furrowed in confusion at how worked up she was getting, but chose to ignore it and help her first.

"Hey, hey, hey," He said soothingly. "It's okay. It was just an accident, and we know that. Just be more careful next time, yeah? You're not in touble, Anastasia. Everything's okay. Now let's get you all cleaned up, hmm?"

But the tears kept coming. So Calum settled on wiping her tears before picking her up, not really caring about the milk that was getting on his shirt as well, and carrying her to the bathroom. Setting her down on the toilet seat, he took a towel and dried her off, wiping her tears and reassuring her that she wasn't in trouble.

Drawing up a bath for her, he threw the towel to the side and got another one, setting it on the counter.

"Do you have pajamas that you can change into after your bath?" He asked softly, wiping her tears for the second time that day.

"Y-Yes, b-b-but they don't f-fit very well." She hiccuped, trying to stop her uncontrollable sobbing. "They're too s-small."

"Then how about you just wear one of my shirts? Would you like that?"

Seeing her nod, he smiled softly and kissed her head, letting her know that everything was going to be alright. Turning his attention back to the water, he tested it with his hand, making sure it wasn't too hot or too cold. And to his satisfaction, it was perfect.

"Come on, bug, let's get you out if those yucky clothes."

Nodding, Anastasia let Calum help her as she took off her sticky clothes and into the bath, where she finally relaxed. Calum worked diligently and within fifteen minutes, Anastasia was squeaky clean, had her teeth brushed, hair combed, and was swaddled up in a fluffy towel. He picked her up and carried her into her bedroom, where he left her to put on new underwear whilst he got her a shirt to sleep in.

"Is she okay?" Ashton asked in concern as he rummaged through his closet.

"Yeah, she's fine, just embarrassed is all." He answered, finally pulling something. "I think part of it is the fact that it's her first day here, and she's not adjusted yet."

Ashton nodded and leaned in the doorway, seeming to be deep in thought.

"You're gonna be a great dad, Calum." He spoke up. "When you told me you were adopting a child, I'm not going to lie, I was sceptical. I mean, you're twenty. What did you know about childcare? In fact, up until you brought her home, I had my doubts. But seeing you with her, and how much you care about her, it made me take back everything I thought. I mean it, Cal. You're already so good with her, and I'm so proud of you."

Smiling, Calum reached over and wrapped his friend in a hug.

"Thank you, man. It means a lot." He spoke with a smile.

Ashton couldn't remember the last time he saw Calum smile this much.

"Anastasia said that after dinner she wanted to play for a bit. Do you wanna join is?"

"Sure," Ashton grinned. "I'd like that."

So the two made the short voyage back to Anastasia's room where she was, still wrapped up in the towel.

"Hey, bug, sorry it took so long," Calum apologized. "But look! Ashton's here to play with us too!"

Anastasia blushed and nodded, letting Calum help her into his shirt that went just below her feet.

"Calum?"

"Yes, bug?"

"I think this is too big."

Calum just laughed and nodded, whilst Ashton took a picture of the two. And after that, they played game after game until 8:30, Anastasia's bedtime.

"Come on, bug," Calum said softly, winding it down. "It's time for bed."

As if on cue, Anastasia yawned and nodded, letting Calum lift her up and into bed, tucking her in.

"Goodnight, bug." Calum whispered, kissing her on the head. "I'm right across the hall if you need anything. Don't be afraid to ask."

"Night Anastasia." Ashton said after, repeating the action.

"Goodnight."

And as Ashton turned off the light and exited the room, Calum couldn't help the monstrous smile that graced his features once again as he shut the door.

One day down of parenting, the rest of his life to go. And he couldn't wait.