Chapter 22

Twelve minutes after eight my doorbell startled me out of the Zen I was reaching, listening to soft piano music on my laptop. Alec was never one to be on time. I walked to the door, wallet in hand, ready to go. Since the diner wasn't anything fancy, I saw no need to dress up. I'd taken a quick shower and thrown on jeans and a long sleeved shirt.

And then there was Alec.

I opened the door to reveal the most handsome man I'd ever had the pleasure of laying eyes - and hands - on. He stood on my porch wearing black slacks and a partially unbuttoned, very thin white button-up with no undershirt, leaving almost nothing to the imagination. I could see the outline of every muscle and ridge of his body. I could feel my mouth beginning to water at the sight. So much for staying mad at him!

"Hey," he smiled. More like smirked! Damn those delicious lips and seductive eyes of his!

I opened the door a little wider and he stepped inside. I could feel his eyes on me when I looked away, glancing outside momentarily. His heated stare felt like searing coals hovering over various parts of my body.

I looked up to meet those steamy sapphire eyes and bit back a pleasured noise. "Hi," I finally acknowledged him.

"Everything alright?" Alec asked, his eyebrows furrowing with concern.

Maybe it was obvious I had a lot on my mind. No doubt I looked exhausted. I probably had some wicked dark circles under my eyes. I also hadn't put a stitch of effort into my apparel. Maybe that's what he was referring to.

"Yeah." I put on my best fake smile. "Everything's great. I just had a long day. That's all." Lies. All lies.

Alec studied me skeptically but didn't pursue questioning me. I was relieved when he linked our arms and lead me to his car. Much to my surprise, he not only opened my door for me, but also helped me inside. This was a side of Alec I'd never seen before.

On the way to the diner, we talked about our days. He told me a funny story about Troy throwing a tantrum at the office. I elaborated on my successful meeting with Sean. We laughed, sang along to cheesy pop songs on the radio, and somehow became closer within the twenty-five minutes it took to get across town.

I began to notice small, simple details about Alec that I'd never paid attention to before. The way he drove with one hand holding the bottom of the steering wheel. The way he smiled when I attempted to sing along to Britney Spears and failed miserably. How his hair moved in waves like the ocean with the wind whipping through the open windows. He looked so young, so happy, so at ease.

Watching him made me happy, but it also made me think about how little freedom I allowed myself anymore. I was always focused on work. I always had my head in a computer. I rarely made time to enjoy the little things anymore. Things like this with Alec. I told myself that was going to have to change. I refused to waste the time I could spend happily enjoying myself, working until two in the morning on proposals and reports that I didn't give a rat's ass about in the first place. Maybe Alec could help me change that. Maybe Alec could make me happy.

But who was I kidding? He had Blondie.

I blocked out that thought as soon as it came to mind. I refused to let that sorority bobble head ruin my evening.

Camaro Diner was nearing empty, as usual. Probably the only time they had a full house was on Thanksgiving when too many people burnt their turkeys and opted for a restaurant dinner. It was a quiet little place on the edge of town with only two waitresses and a chef who yelled crank it up! whenever a song by Elvis came on the old fashioned jukebox. I'd never been much into fancy French restaurants or over-packed Mexican joints. I loved the fifties décor. It was like traveling back in time when you walked through the doors. Camaro was the perfect spot in my book.