Chapter 37

Rutherford Laurence had been on my mind all afternoon. After a much needed snooze 'til noon with Alec, and his breakfast concoction that tasted surprisingly good, despite having sat in the microwave for six hours, I finally dragged myself to my at-home office to check my emails. Alec had suggested I inform all my clients of my switch to Clearwater in hopes of bringing some of their business with me. But before I could begin drafting said message, my eyes landed on an email from Chase Levitt. The subject was Rutherford Laurence.

Miss Laughlin,

It has come to my attention that you have accepted an offer with Clearwater Media Group. I'm disappointed you won't be joining us in Charlotte. Abernathy Advertisements could have done wonders for skyrocketing your career. Alas, you've chosen the competition and that makes you competition.

Please be aware that my company is retaining the business of Rutherford Laurence and we look forward to orchestrating the Healthier is Happier campaign. I am aware of your right to solicit; however, I do expect Clearwater Media Group to respect that my clients already have an agency and are very pleased with our work. Please look elsewhere for new clients.

I wish you luck in your endeavors.

"So basically, he's saying 'fuck you, we're keeping the client you worked your ass off to get,'" Alec grumbled, reading over my shoulder.

"He wishes me luck but not success."

"Heaven forbid he wished you success."

"I suppose it's wrong to wish your competition success," I sighed, staring blankly at the screen. "All that time and effort to get Rutherford Laurence and it was a waste."

Alec shook his head. "Hey. You don't know that. Abernathy didn't exactly get off on the right foot with Sean Ashworth. There's a good enough chance that Rutherford Laurence might not stick with them. I'd say go ahead and solicit to your heart's desire. All they can do is say no."

"You know what?" I clicked to open a new message draft. "You're right. And Chase Levitt is crazy if he thinks I'm going to let Rutherford Laurence go without a fight."

"Easy, Tiger," Alec chuckled, wrapping an arm around me as he leaned over the back of my chair. "No need to get physical."

"You know what I mean," I giggled.

I typed a very formal email to all of my former clients as planned. It took four drafts and countless adjustments before I finally clicked send, but I was pleased with my explanation for my switch in agencies, and I actually felt great about my chances of hearing from many of them that they would continue to do business with me.

Chase could go kiss a blowfish for all I cared. Or as Alec put it: wouldn't it be much more entertaining if he just happened to fall ass-first onto a cactus? I was more than okay with that.

Before the day was over, I'd received three responses from some of my favorite clients. They'd all agreed to work with me at Clearwater and they each sounded just as excited about the future as I was.

Maybe I didn't need Rutherford Laurence after all. Maybe that was a loss I could let roll off my back. If I could charm enough clients out of Abernathy's grip, I'd be more than happy enough with myself and my skills. But until I got at least twelve clients on board, Rutherford Laurence would continue to be my focal point.

Regardless of the outcome, I planned on success and progress. Nothing less.

By Thursday morning, I'd checked six more clients off the "Bring-to-Clearwater" list. Three more to go until I hit that magic goal of twelve I'd set.