Chapter 26

Dinner did not go as planned. Our usually cheerful family holiday had become the perfect opportunity for everyone to question my judgment. I felt as though I was being shunned, becoming the black sheep. Jake had broadcasted his anger over catching me with Alec to the entire family halfway through dinner. As a result, the only people who would speak to me other than to take a dig at me were the triplets who didn't know any better. I assumed they'd join right along with cutting glares my direction if they understood what was going on.

Instead of hanging around after everyone was finished eating, I skipped out on the rest of the festivities and called Alec. I needed an escape from reality and he was just the man I was looking for.

"Hey, Bree," his cheery voice came on the line while I trekked to my car.

It was dark and gloomy with rumbles of thunder overhead. I expected it to start pouring any second. I hugged my jacket tighter around my body and slammed the door loud enough that my family probably heard it inside the house.

"Alec, I need a stress reliever," I complained, starting the engine.

It had been warmer during the day and my air conditioner, which I'd forgotten to turn off when I'd arrived at my parents' house, sent chilly air blasting through the vents in my face. I awkwardly attempted to hold the phone while backing out of the driveway and turn off the A/C at the same time.

"I hear heavy metal music and jogging six miles works pretty well," Alec chuckled. "Or you could do what I do: beat the living shit out of a punching bag."

"Alec, I'm serious," I said, trying to choke back the oncoming giggle.

Even when I was absolutely miserable, he could still make me laugh. I told myself that, despite our colorful history, I was lucky to have him in my life, even if he was just a friend with benefits.

"So am I," he chuckled again.

"Are you still with your family?" I asked, crossing my fingers that he would say no.

He cleared his throat and I heard a door open and close. "I'm outside now. What's up? You okay?"

"I'm not sure what I am right now, Alec," I sighed.

He suddenly sounded concerned and overprotective. "Talk to me, Bree. What is it?"

I shook my head as if he could see me. I didn't want to talk about it. Talking about it made it more real. More set in stone. I just wanted to be in his arms. I wanted to temporarily forget the mess that was encompassing my life. I wanted him to whisk me away into a world of bliss where there was no such thing as Abernathy Advertisements or Clearwater Media Group or anyone else. Just us. Just Alec and me.

Ever since we'd agreed to being friends with benefits, we'd been there for each other when one of us was stressed beyond words. We always tried to be each other's shoulder to cry on. Half the time that meant fucking into the abyss. The other half we'd spend playing cards, watching reruns of The Golden Girls, or just hanging out, talking.

At the moment, it didn't matter to me what we did. I just knew I wanted to be with Alec and I wanted him to take my mind off of everything.

"Jake tattled on me and now everyone's mad at me. So much for a happy Thanksgiving," I told him. "I got tired of feeling like the outcast and left."

I knew Alec wasn't surprised. The last time either of our families had seen us together was when we were teenagers and we stole his father's brand new Mercedes in the middle of the night, taking it for a joyride across three counties before a deputy pulled us over for speeding. Mr. Shaffers had never forgiven us for that stunt, nor had anyone else. That was the only time Alec and I had ever gotten along, up until a few months back.