Chapter 29

It would have been much more convenient if my suitcase could've packed itself, considering I had never been one to pack lightly, regardless of how short my trip was to be, and I was at the point of having to sit on my suitcase to zip it.

Alec made it look easy, throwing together three days' worth of clothes, a minimal amount of toiletries, and his laptop in a small black carryon.

Then there was me, Bree: Queen of Luggage.

"Do you really need all that?" Alec asked, leaning in the doorway in nothing but a pair of old, weathered jeans. "It's two days. Three, tops."

My suitcase lay open at the foot of my bed, stuffed with clothing, toiletries, electronics, books, and various other items I undoubtedly didn't need for this trip. Then again, I was always one to pack according to what-if's. Like what if I lose my phone charger? I better take three. What if I get a headache? I better pack a whole bottle of ibuprofen. Oh, and let's not forget. What if my phone's GPS fails? I better pack laminated maps, too! Yes, I'm one of those people.

I shrugged. "I just like being prepared."

"For the apocalypse?" he chuckled.

I groaned to myself. Alec was right. I didn't need all this.

"Okay." I turned to face him. "I'll try packing like you for a change. Then watch Murphy's Law be enacted on this trip and I'll need everything I didn't pack. What are you going to say when that happens?"

A broad smirk had found its way to his lips as he listened to my frustrated words. I resisted the urge to let my eyes wander over his half naked body.

Alec sauntered over to where I stood, placing his hands on my hips and watching me with amusement. "Why don't you let me pack your bag for you?"

"Because I'll get all the way to Seattle and open my suitcase to find nothing but lingerie." I gave him a knowing look.

He nodded, his smirk never fading. "Yeah. That's true."

After rereading my words about twelve times, I'd sent Darin an email last night letting him know I'd be taking a few days off. I decided vacation time sounded a little impractical and instead cited that I was overwhelmed with the changes at work and needed some time to myself to think everything over. I also used the fact that my brother was still in town as an excuse to take time off, though in reality I had no plans to see him again any time soon. There was still bad blood between us over Alec visiting on Thanksgiving.

Darin had replied with a simple "okay" and I took that as my cue to start packing.

Alec booked us first class seats on an early morning flight. We then had to catch a connecting flight in Chicago. The weather was dreadful. Thunderstorms and snowstorms were scattered all across the country leading to thousands of delayed and cancelled flights. We couldn't leave the tarmac in Raleigh until two hours after our original departure time.

I spent most of our wait overthinking my suitcase contents since I'd ended up dumping everything out of it at the last minute and repacking with only the most necessary essentials, per Alec's recommendations. Damn him and his logical ideas. I was also giving an excessive amount of thought to Clearwater's proposal and the meeting Alec had set up for me with Troy.

The way I understood it, Alec was going to introduce me to Bottle-Blonde-Crystal and Madison, the public relations director. Then I was supposed to meet one-on-one with Troy, who had already flown out, about this job offer.