Chapter 32

Morning came way too early. I rolled out of bed at six-thirty and spent about an hour preparing for the meeting with Clearwater while Alec slept in. I decided not to wake him until it was nearing time to head out. As a result, at least a third of my preparation time was spent sitting at the tiny desk in the corner admiring the way Alec looked when he slept.

I stood in front of the mirror in the entryway checking over my wardrobe and hair. I didn't usually give much attention to the way I looked. As long as I looked professional, that was good enough for me. But today I decided to put in some extra effort. I figured, regardless of what decision I would end up making, I should try to make a good first impression with Clearwater.

"Is it morning already?" Alec's husky sleepy voice came from behind me.

"Uh huh," I nodded, turning to face him. "I thought I'd let you sleep in. You looked so exhausted, I didn't want to wake you."

His eyes still looked slightly bloodshot and he was blinking a lot, trying to keep them open. I watched him stretch and yawn, finally sitting up. He looked out the windows where the sunrise was casting a stunning golden glow over the skyline and reflecting off of some buildings like they were mirrors. His messy hair was an all-too-obvious indicator that we'd had some pretty great sex last night and I sighed in happiness thinking about it.

Alec rolled his shoulders a few times, probably loosening up stiff muscles. He looked back at me and smiled. It was gorgeous. Flawless. How had I gotten so lucky as to share a bed with this man?

"You look..." His eyes traveled up and down my body.

"Polished?" I snorted a laugh, glancing back at my reflection in a light gray pantsuit.

"Beautiful."

Our eyes met and I felt like he could read me like a book. Like he knew everything I was thinking and feeling, everything I wanted and needed, and everything I didn't want him to know.

It was just a word. I shouldn't feel so unraveled by a simple word.

But it wasn't just any word. It was a compliment from the man I was falling for and it made me feel like a million bucks.

I looked in the mirror again. Was I blushing?

"Bree."

His voice was soft, still very sleepy. Fuck, I loved his sleepy voice.

Alec climbed out of bed and sauntered up to where I stood smoothing out my suit jacket. His arms slipped around my waist, pulling my back against his chest. I watched him in the mirror. He rested his chin on my shoulder and stared at me. Again, I felt transparent.

"What?" I asked hesitantly, unable to tear my focus from his eyes on me.

He didn't say anything. Instead he nuzzled my neck with his nose. I could feel him smiling through my blouse collar and a smile began to tug at the corners of my mouth too. It was contagious.

"Why don't you come back to bed?" Alec mumbled against my neck. He was obviously still exhausted.

I shook my head, smiling softly. "I'd love to but then we'd be late."

He groaned, reluctantly letting his arms fall from around my waist. He stepped around me and headed for the bathroom to get ready and I found myself appreciating the spectacular view of his naked ass as he walked away.

Stepping out of the cab onto Fifth Avenue, the Columbia Center towered over us giving the illusion that the building went straight up and never ended. Alec paid the driver and then grabbed my hand, leading me inside. I felt a tingle run up my arm when our fingers laced together and that damn blush creeped up my cheeks again.