Chapter One

Time passed in the blink of an eye. The beautiful forest showed no damage that the wildfire had done. Spring transitioned to summer, the blossoming trees fading. Bright green leaves changed to red, brown, orange, and yellow as the trees slowly released them into the wind. The ground caught the leaves and the rustling air tossed them into the sky in circling swirls. The days grew shorter, making each day colder than the next. Leaves crunched beneath the feet of the animals in the woods, and the morning calls of birds in the trees were heard all throughout. 

Today frost covered the grass in a thin, protective layer of ice accompanied by a biting wind. My Pack came into view as I reached our territory from hunting, a hare cradled importantly in my jaws. I had to force myself not to bite down, for I was tempted by my carnivorous wolf instincts to chew. I approached Shadow, who Icy had chosen to be the leader of the Pack as her last order before she was gone. I bit my lip and suppressed a whine to hold back signs of sadness.

"Well done, Raven," Shadow addressed me with her yellow eyes, watching the hare dangle in my mouth.

"Thank you, Alpha," I responded and dipped my head.

"Raven, you can call me Shadow. I am still your wolf, even though I am the Alpha."

I smiled, "It's good to hear that. My thanks again to you. I must be going, school will begin shortly."

Shadow nodded knowingly and I ran behind a tree to transform, my half of the yin and yang necklace bouncing. I found myself on my own two feet again and got ready for school. High school. I shivered when I looked out my window to see an icy wind blowing through the almost-bare trees, shaking the leftover leaves free as they flew in the air in all directions.

I arrived at the glass entrance to my new school. My eyes followed up stone with ivy twisting around a column on either side. Déjà vu hit me as I experienced the emotion of nervousness on my first day at my past 'new' schools. I pushed my hair behind my right ear and stood taller, as if I was not doubting myself.

My new locker was beige and half the size of my liking, but at least it was a top locker and on the edge. I searched for anyone who could be a potential friend, or perhaps a familiar face to guide me. Who was I kidding? I needed my best friend.

I glanced at my schedule I had not yet memorized, then looked up and realized Zack was staring at me. Memories flooded through me. Zackary Anderson from junior high, right there again. His eyes on me made me more nervous than I was already and I looked away self-consciously.

Now desperately, I fumbled for the right textbook in my locker, eyes on the floor on my way to class and avoiding Zack's gaze.

I learned a new math lesson in my advanced class. On my way out, I spotted Katy, who had been looking for me as well.

Without hesitation I ran up to her and threw my arms around her. It had been a long summer without her. "Katy! I missed you so much!"

"Me too!" Katy cried. "We have to compare schedules!"

"Hey, we have science together, band, and world geography!" I drew mental check marks in my mind to symbolize the classes I had people I knew in.

"Awesome! Well, I think I'll be off to my first class," Katy grinned.

"Good luck! I hope you don't run into the you-know-whos!" I waved with a sincere warning. 

"Thank you, I'm gonna need it! And same to you!"