Chapter Seven

I watched as my Pack members departed and went back to what they were doing. Shadow had requested for Riptide and I to stay back so she could speak to us. "I would like it very much if you two could go out on a hunting patrol, I am sending out many of us because winter will be here soon. And that means we might run out of food if we do not stock up."

Me with Riptide? I gasped silently, swallowing my excitement. 

"Yes, Alpha," Riptide obeyed, he was getting used to his new pack life faster than I thought he would.

We traveled together, navigating our way to any sign of prey. By now I was glad that I had notified Mom that I was not going to be back for a while. I caught a deer's scent and Riptide seemed to have discovered the same one. "Split up," I told him. 

He nodded and broke away from me. Once we had spotted the deer, we chased it, and collected our fresh-kill. 

"This tastes surprisingly good," Riptide told me when we met up again. 

"Hey, you aren't supposed to eat it yet."

"I know, I just licked it, you know, to see what it tastes like."

"Well, okay, just don't do it again," I laughed.

"I won't," he promised. 

Suddenly, a loud roar exploded through the air as we wandered back home. Riptide and I exchanged glances.  Behind us was a grizzly bear, whom obviously lived in this part of the forest.

"Run!" He exclaimed. 

Without thinking twice, that was exactly what I did, leaving my thoughts behind me. Looking over my shoulder, I saw the grey pelt of Riptide close behind me. But to my dismay, the bear was catching up to us too quickly. 

Riptide stopped suddenly. "Why did you stop? We have to go!" I shouted at him. "The bear will follow us back to camp, and we can't put the rest of the Pack in danger!" He yelled back. 

"Why? Please follow me!" I refused to leave him here to distract the bear. 

"Just go!" He called sternly. 

"No, why? Why won't you just come with me?" I said more stubbornly. I lost control of myself for a minute and somehow was a human again. 

He transformed as well, misunderstanding why I had shape-shifted back. "Because...I love you. I don't want to see anything bad happen to you!"

Instead of saying 'I love you, too', I leaned in and kissed him. Fireworks sparked inside of me and automatically this felt like a dream.