Chapter 18

Percy was conflicted as he shadow travelled to camp Halfblood. His mother had began to work with Hecate? What was Hecate's angle? Why did his mother even trust her? "Why don't you ask one of the goddesses, the one who abandoned you at that orphanage when you were a baby." The words ran through his head over and over again, Hecate said abandoned, but his mom told him she left him for his safety. "Well she did, ask her if you don't believe me." Percy had a difficult time believing Hecate, but the sureness in her voice...why would she lie about it? He was starting to doubt his mother, what if she actually left him because he was a handful? What if she left him because he was forbidden? But she came for him, surely she wouldn't of come if she hadn't cared. Hecate's visit had shaken him up, when she used her magic on him it was like she was ripping him up from the inside, did she even have that much power? He wondered as took off his cape and hid it under his arm, if she did posses such power then why hadn't she taken down Jupiter? Try to rule the world? She seemed like a goddess who craved power, maybe she was blackmailing his mom. He hoped that was it, does she really love you? He wondered and silently cursed Hecate, she had clouded his mind with uncertainty and doubt. Why did she even want him in the quest? Was she benefiting herself or someone else? He then felt sick, he had won such and honorable position by magic. He felt as though he betrayed the Romans, his fatal flaw was loyalty, maybe he could give up the position and win it fairly. It wasn't his fault...it was his moms. Why had she done this to him? He ran a hand through his hair and pushed down his sleeves that held his tattoos. He saw a nearby bush and tucked his cape in them so no suspicions would arise during his time here. He decide to push his negative thoughts aside and promised himself he would ask his mom if it was true.

"Percy!" He turned to see flying blonde hair, he was suddenly crushed into a hug by Annabeth. He remembered how he had disrespected Minerva who was kind of Annabeth's mom...no that's Athena. He reassured himself and hugged the blonde back, then he was pushed on top of her. They fell to the ground but Percy caught them with one arm on the ground and the other around Annabeth's waist so she wouldn't fall.

The Stoll brothers laughed loudly. Travis yelled loudly,"Hey everyone, Percy and Annabeth are making a scene!" Everyone looked at the two and Annabeth blushed heavily, Percy gently set Annabeth on the ground. He rounded on the Stolls who paled, they tried to run but he grabbed them both by the collar of their shirts.

He glared harshly at them,"Hello boys, lets try to be gentlemen about this. Please apologize to miss Chase." She was now on her feet glaring at the twins.

The Stolls grumbled in unison,"Sorry Annabeth." She gave them both hard smacks on the head making Percy laugh and the twins yelped. He let them go and Travis rubbed his sore head.

Connor grinned at Percy knowingly,"So Percy, where have you been lately? Meet any cute girls with cute friends?" Travis grinned just like Connor and wiggled his eyes suggestively.

Percy snorted,"If you must know I was with the hunters." The trio gasped at their friend in surprised.

"Dang Perce, your a real lady killer." Connor said impressed while Travis nodded in agreement. Annabeth just looked at him with wide eyes while Percy rolled his eyes at the Stolls.

He turned to Annabeth,"Remember that family I lived with in the woods, when we first met?" She nodded and he explained,"That is the hunt, their my family. Artemis is my sister and Apollo is my brother, my real father is Poseidon but Hades adopted me. My mother is Hestia, I'm made from the hearth." All of their jaws dropped, Annabeth's mind seemed to be racing while the Stolls looked dumbfounded. Percy was relieved to get that all out, he was also happy that he could be with the hunt as family not strangers.

He decided to tease Annabeth,"What's wrong owl eyes? Can't comprehend how an awesome guy like me got in the hunt?" She glared at him but he spoke again in a more serious tone,"When I was a baby my mom Hestia put me in an orphanage, I was tossed from home to home because I could set things on fire. Once I turned five I ran away, I met the hunters and then my mom claimed me. She pleaded that Artemis would take me in the hunt to hide me from Ju-Zeus, Artemis excepted and eventually saw me as her little brother. Apollo became my big brother, Zoe use to hate me. When I was five she almost took my head off with a arrow," He chuckled at the memory while his friends looked at him as though he was crazy,"but we became best friends and the hunters all became my sisters." Annabeth's calculating grey eyes stared at him suspiciously while the Stolls still looked at him in awe.