0.9

ZERO•NINE
   •.    •.   •.   •.

"TATE CALM DOWN."

Clifford said as each breath I took became shorter and shorter.

"They are just people."

"People who happen to create music I desire so deeply. This is huge and I really don't think I can do this." I said, my voice cracking at the end as I threw my head back against the train window.

Clifford chuckled,"You doubt yourself too much."

I ran a hand through my hair,"I don't want to screw up."

"And if you do, at least you tried."

"That still doesn't help."

He groaned out.

The train came to a stop, and we stood up from our seats, out the train doors, and back up to main ground.

"Tate look all you gotta do is get on that stage and sing, no one is asking you to cure cancer."

•.

"Hey Tate." Were the first words I heard when I walked into work.

"Brian." I saluted.

He was mopping the floors and as I walked behind the counter with Clifford, he ran over tripping over the mop.

"You alright there?" Clifford smirked causing me to elbow his rib.

"Yeah, yeah." He answered straightening himself,"Tate, I really want to talk to you."

I looked at Clifford who was holding in a laugh.

"I should practice for tonight."

"It'll only take a second."

I leaned against the counter,"Maybe later. I really want to practice, if that's okay with you."

"Yeah of course you can practice."

"I'll be out back."

"I'll go with her." Clifford said as I began walking to the back door.

"Clifford," he started,"I need you to work actually. I'll go with Tate."

"Brian-"

"Let's go."

He was out the back door in minutes.

I looked at Clifford who grabbed his apron,"Just tell him you don't like him."

"But-"

"Just do it!"

I looked him,"You know what, I'm not. Because I'm going to practice in the girls bathroom. I really can't face him when I'm just a bundle of nerves. Tell him I went out for a while please?"

"My pleasure."

I wrapped my arms around his torso,"Thank you."