Prologue

.

.

.

*Somewhere in England*

On one cold, rainy day, the clouds were colored grey as small droplets of water drizzled down unto everything that it touched. My gloomy, green eyes reflected the dark atmosphere outside as my 5 year old self sat motionless by the window sill. I remained sitting there with my small, skinny legs bent with my chin resting on top as my arms held them into place. Mike, my arrogant father, was slumped into his brown old recliner, covered with various food stains and ripped fabric tearing along edges. His fat, lazy body sat there in his off-white tank top also covered in stains, raising up a bit just to see his hairy, plump belly. In his right hand, he held a half-full beer bottle and staring at the TV, watching the news. I would glance every once in a while at the screen but I was more focused on the rain.

Suddenly, I overheard a very faint gasp from my father. I snapped my head towards him, looking confused. His chubby self leaned forward from his chair, looking closer at the TV and paying more attention. Without even looking, he reached for the thick, black remote besides him and turned up the volume so both if us could hear.

"Welcome to South Hill News! I'm Charlotte King. Right now, we have just approached this horrible accident by the old wooden bridge. A woman in her late-twenties, named Priscilla Evans, crashed her vehicle." The reporter announced. Once I heard my mom's name, I raced in front of the TV. I sat there with my little eyes glued to the TV.

"Our resources say that she was driving home from the store until she was hit by a drunk driver. This young man was swerving recklessly down the road, holding an opened alcoholic beverage in his hand." She continued as she walking cautiously towards the broken side of the wooden bridge. "Here, we have the evidence that Mrs. Evans' car was hit on the side and toppled over and plummeted into the large river down below." She explained as her eyes glanced over the bridge.

My 5 year old self is witnessing my mother's death on Live TV. "Momma..." I whispered to myself. I'm screaming at the TV screen saying, "M-Momma, p-please c-come b-back!"

"It is said that Priscilla Evans hit her head on the steering wheel and became unconscious. Now, it is confirmed that she died on impact while her car hit the water face first." She said. "Now, to our next event of the night." She finished saying.

After that horrible tragic event of my mother dying, I ran to my room, slammed my door. Soon, I curled into a little ball underneath my sheets, on my bed, and drifted off to sleep.

*ONE YEAR AFTER MOM DIED*

I wish that I had my mom back. I miss her so much! My life has been horrible without her. My father has been abusing me, physically and mentally. I thought he loved me.....but I guess not.

On one dark, gloomy night, my house was really quiet. too quiet.... I'm supposed to be in my nasty, old room all night until my father called me for something, but instead I quietly tip-toed to my door and carefully opened it. 'CREEEEEKKKK' went the door. I closed my eyes so tight that my eyes started to hurt. I listened to any unique noises but instead my nose caught something very unusual. I quickly opened the door and the hallway was on....FIRE!!!!

I started panicking. I was so worried about my father. I screamed, "Daddy! Where are you?!" I screamed a few more times but... nothing... I ran to a corner of my room, sat down and pulled my knees into my chest. I don't know what to do. By this time, I'm crying. I started praying to the heavens, asking them to save me! I opened my eyes and was faced with smoke and fire entering my room! My ability to breathe in oxygen became very limited.

Suddenly, out of nowhere, a lash of fire whipped the left side of my face. I screamed bloody murder as soon as it connected with my face. I grabbed my burning face in both of my hands. BANG! As tears were streaming down my face, my bedroom door opened and was slammed against the burning wall. Large fire-fighters rushed inside and quickly grabbed me. I still wasn't breathing right, which resulted in coughing.

They finally got me out of that massive fire. I never saw my father at all during this. I don't know if he was dead or not. Meanwhile, I received medical attention and was taken to the hospital. I stayed there for about 2 weeks. The nurses told that my father wasn't at home when the fire happened. Who would leave their child at home... alone?! The nurse told me some important things that I needed to know about how to take care of my face.

"Mrs. Morgan, can I have a mirror, please?" I asked her, in my little innocent voice. Mrs. Morgan was one of my nurses. She was like my second mom to me. She was so kind and compassionate towards me. Plus, she kinda looked like my mom. She nodded and slowly gave me a mirror. Her facial expressions were really hard to read. She looked.... scared? or uneasy? Is my face that horrible looking? Now, I have the mirror in my hand. I was so scared to look at my reflection. I wished that it showed me what I would like but no. I slowly turned the reflective surface towards me and...

Holy Fudge Muffins! Half of my face was burned! Some people might mistaken me as 2 different people. My perfect, little hand glazed upon my charred cheek. Rough, bumpy, dark skin was all the my fingertips felt. Suddenly, tiny drops of tears escaped my dull, green eyes and soon those tears turned into sobs. "Shh... It's okay, darling." Mrs. Morgan soothed, trying to calm me down. "Mrs. Morgan, I'l-l nev-ver b-be t-the s-sa-ame!" I sobbed harder. She stayed there, with me in her arms, rocking me back and forth.

This was the day that has changed my life forever!

________________________________________

Throughout my school years, I was bullied...horribly. People started called me ugly, scar-face, worthless, pathetic and etc. I couldn't take it anymore, so I decided that I should just slowly...destroy myself. I grabbed one of my old razors and sliced my both wrists about three to four times. I did that for about a month and a half, but soon I realized that that didn't help at all. Then, a thought appeared into my mind. A mask! People wear masks to hide their identity. So I created my very own mask.

To hide my horrid face from the world.

__________________________

***Hey beauties! I hope all of you have enjoyed this story. Luv ya all!!! xoxo

~Becca~♥