Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

James' POV

When I woke I was surprised to find that I was alone in Isabella's house. She had left for school and I had slept through the whole thing. I sighed. It was Wednesday and my pack was probably wondering where I was. I had messages to deliver and explanations to give—people to direct. I didn't want to go back without my Luna though.

Isabella's copper eyes red and her cheeks stained with tears flashed through my mind. She was so strong. She deserved better than what I had to give her.

Yes, I couldn't go back without her. She said she was busy this weekend, but I guess I'll have to change her mind. I couldn't wait until next weekend to go back.

"Ben?"

"Jesus christ! Where have you been?" Ben practically yelled back.

"I'm fine," I responded.

"Fine?" he snickered. "Well, I'm almost to town. I couldn't wait to see if you were dead!"

"You're almost here?" I asked incredulously.

"Yes. Where are you?"

"I'll meet you on the outskirts of town." I told him.

"Alright."

I can't believe Ben had come after me. I suppose I've been gone for a whole week with practically no word, but.... Well, what was I going to do now? My wolf roared up in me. Should I hide Isabella? No! He's my beta. If anyone can be trusted to handle this situation sensibly it should be him. Shit! Would he be able to smell my mark? My wolf growled. He wasn't happy that Isabella was still unmarked.

I groaned at the change of circumstances and rolled out of Isabella's bed. It smelled lovely in here. Fuck, listen to me. "Lovely." I tore my clothes off and jumped out the window to shift. I can come back for my clothes later.

I glanced around the woods and took a deep breath as I took off for the outskirts of the town. I loved all the trees here. It was very convenient. As I neared the edges I started sniffing out for Ben's scent and quickly caught on. I picked up the pace and broke through a clearing where I saw him waiting. His familiar red coat stood out in the trees. A disadvantage if you ask me. It was a good thing he was so quick. He flashed me a wolfy, brotherly grin and ran towards me, tackling me to the ground.

I suppose I had missed him though I didn't realize with Isabella as a distraction. It was good to have my right hand close. "Ben!"

"Hey Jackass!" he pushed his muzzle into my shoulder and shook his head.

"How's the pack?" I asked.

"They're missing their Alpha."

My brow furrowed, "Yes, I figured. I'm sorry. What have you been telling them?"

Ben took a step back and sat down, "That you're fine and had to take more time investigating." Ben did a wolf shrug kind of thing.

"That's good."

"But, seriously, man. What the fuck have you been doing?"

I studied Ben carefully. He didn't look angry, which I had been expecting. Instead he looked frustrated and stressed out. I suppose an alpha makes the best alpha. Well, should I tell him? He'd probably freak out. Right? He'd want to meet her. He'd want to see her.

"Well?" Ben pressed.

"Come on. Let's find some clothes. I wanna show you something."