Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter Twenty-One

"If you need anything or something happens then just call me. I'll be there," Sphinx had her arms securely wrapped around me and was whispering these words in my ear.

Over her shoulder I could see James. He had, of course, heard her. His brow furrowed and he grimaced before turning to respond to something Ben had said to him.

I gave my sister one last squeeze before backing out of her embrace. "I'm sure everything will be fine. And I'll be back on Monday morning," I assured her.

She raised a brow and nodded, "Fine. But as soon as you have your doubts—"

"I'll call you Sphinx," I interjected her and then broke in to a bright grin. "Jeez, when did you become such a mom?"

Her cheeks colored pink. "Since getting knocked up just a bit or so ago," she giggled nervously. Suddenly, her eyes were big and I could see her mind was lightyears away and then, in a blink of an eye, she was back in the present and smiling at me.

I had saw that look though and it was a painful reminder that I was leaving my sister. Here she was, sixteen and pregnant, and before even helping her sort any of that out I had stumbled upon my own life-altering moment. I couldn't help but feel remorse at the thought. We were being separated at a time where we needed each other. I had to remember to stick by her side throughout this time. To not get so wrapped up in my own shit that I neglected her. We'd be stronger at the end of this if we stuck together.

"If you need anything while I'm gone then you can—"

"Call you?" Sphinx interrupted with a shake of her head.

I smiled back at her. "Yes. I mean it. If anything happens then just call."

"Angel?"

I glanced over Sphinx's shoulder to see James staring at me. His eyes were soft but he looked tense.

"Ben and I finished packing the car. We're ready whenever you are."

A sob escaped from Sphinx and I quickly hugged her tightly. My poor sister was a wreck over this.

"I'm sorry," she wailed. "It's really just hormones, I think."

I pushed her away and kept my hands steady on her shoulders. "Is Rayne coming over?"

She sniffled and nodded. "He's on his way."

"Good." She shouldn't be alone. I hugged her once more, as tightly as I could manage. Sphinx was right. This wasn't that big of a deal and yet I felt very anxious leaving my sister behind, even if it was only for a couple days.

"We'll only be gone for the weekend, Angel."

It was like he could read my mind. Then again, maybe he could. I trained my eyes on him, my arms still around my sister, and raised a brow at him. He looked concerned, but clueless.

"I've just never left her alone. I usually take care of her, James. And she's pregnant now."

Ben cleared his throat and my eyes flitted to him. He looked uncomfortable. I suppose this moment was more intimate than he felt comfortable with.

"I'm going to be waiting in the Jeep," he says and then nods at both James and I before disappearing out the front door, relieved, I think, to be leaving.

James' eyes followed Ben until the front door shut behind him and then they were back on Sphinx and I.

"Do you want to bring her?"

Bring her? No, I wasn't even sure I would be safe in the company of James' pack never mind my sister. Plus, James wouldn't be protecting her the same as me.

"No. Can we just stay until Rayne gets here?"

James nodded, "Of course, Baby."

I pulled away from Sphinx and looked her over. Her blue eyes were puffy from crying her she was still sniffling incessantly. She brought one hand to her still flat stomach and the other to the back of her neck.

"I'll be back before you know it," I insist. "You're going to get so much time with Rayne and—" I paused, "Actually, I should be the one who's worried. You're just gonna be going at it like rabbits while I'm gone."

Sphinx giggled sheepishly. "You have nothing to be worried about."

I snorted, "Yeah, right!"

Sphinx laughed whole-heartedly this time. Her eyes were still puffy, but she looked more relaxed now. Maybe her hormones are acting up.

"No, really, Bella. I'm already pregnant. There's nothing to be worried about."

My eyes went wide and I heard James chuckle in the background. I guess she's right.

"Sphinx—" I started but was interrupted by the front door opening. I turned and saw Rayne standing in the doorway. He had a bag slung over his shoulder and his brown eyes were focused on his mate, filled with concern.

"Sphinx, are you okay, baby?" Rayne dropped his bag and held his arms open, only having to take a step closer before Sphinx dove into his arms.

I watched them embrace. His nose buried deep in her hair and her head tucked beneath his chin. He loves my sister. Of course he does. I shouldn't worry so much.

James wrapped his arm around my shoulders and pulled my body to his. "Angel?"

I peered up to him and smiled. He's so handsome and he cares about me. "James, baby," I snuggled myself into him.

He broke into a grin. "I'm excited for you to come home with me, Luna." His blue eyes shone with pride. He's been very patient with me in saying goodbye to my sister and I appreciate it.

"We'll I guess I won't keep you waiting." I looped my fingers in his and squeezed. I can't believe this is happening. I can only hope that everything goes as planned.