Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen

"When is James coming over?" Sphinx asked me.

I sighed and looked out the window. The new moon was shining brightly in the sky and the stars twinkled as if they were fawning over it. It was almost eight and I hadn't heard from James. "I'm not sure," I shrugged.

Look at me! How ridiculous. All melancholy and simpering waiting for a man. Jeez, when did I get so pathetic?

"I'm sure he'll be here soon," Sphinx said, sensing my mood. "I was going to head over to Rayne's and stay the night. I could stay until James gets here if you'd like?"

I shook my head and forced a smile on my face. "Go ahead, Sphinx! I'll be fine."

She smiled at me but her eyes said she knew better. "Alright. I'll see you later."

"See you later! Have fun."

She nodded and threw her bag over her shoulder before waving to me while heading out the door.

All alone. What was possibly taking him so fucking long? I hated that I wanted to see him this badly, but I couldn't help it. My response to him was something that couldn't be changed. I wanted him by my side—needed him.

A flash of that stupid little blond Mindy leaning all over him today entered my head and I growled. Ugh. I couldn't stand the way girls were drawn to him.

I took one more glance out the window and decided to take a break and hop in the shower. I pulled the window shut and locked it before heading to the bathroom. Unfortunately, I was hoping the warm water would make me forget about James but it didn't. He was going to set forth a complete change for his pack—for me. It made me nervous. It wasn't possible that everyone would just go along with it. Someone was going to get pissed. And it'd all be pinned on me. This was going to be rough.

"Angel?"

I let out a startled yelp and realized that there was a knock at the front door. Shit, when did they get here? I shut off the water and wrapped my fluffy white towel around my body.

"Just a minute!" I yelled as I wrung my hair out. I ran to the front door and checked the peephole before unlocking it and swinging it open. My wolf let out a sigh of contentment. There he was. My mate. Handsome, safe, and...covered in mud.

My eyes slid to Ben who was also very dirty. "You can't come in here like that."

James eyes narrowed and he nervously rubbed the back of his neck with his hand, momentarily distracting me as his biceps rippled. "Sorry. We were messing around and it got a little...competitive."

"Messing around?" I asked sharply.

"Uh-oh," Ben mumbled and let out a whistle.

"Just fighting, ya know?" James said nonchalantly.

"Fighting?" I asked, my tone raising an octave. "I've been sitting around waiting and you're out there fighting like a bunch of kids? And then you show up on my doorstep covered in mud?"

"I-uh..." James trailed off as he studied my appearance.

"I, uh...," I mimicked him and rolled my eyes. "Well, I'm going to go change. It's up to you to figure out how to get in the shower without making a mess of my house," I huffed and then turned and walked to my bedroom. Fighting! I'm sitting around like a stupid damsel in distress and they're play fighting. What the fuck? I'm so stupid. They're so stupid!

I hear my shower start and then shortly after Sphinx's too. I guess they figured it out. I walk out of my bedroom and survey the damage. Not a spot. Well, good, I think petulantly. I sigh and go to grab a sheet for the couch for Ben. A door clicks open and out comes Ben with a towel wrapped out his waist and not a stitch on otherwise.