Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten 

James POV 

My mate was in distress. The urgency to get to her coursed through my veins. I ran out of the small clothing boutique I was in and shifted as soon as I hit the woods. She was at her house but moving away from it quickly. As she made her direction more clear I understood where she was heading. It was that tree where I first met her. 

I saw her stark white wolf laying down on the ground with a look of worry on her face. I contemplated interrupting her, but it seemed wrong. She was fine. It was her mind that was in distress.  

I laid down far away enough that she wouldn’t sense me, but close enough that I could get to her if I needed to. As I watched her sleep I started to doze off myself. 

“James.” 

My eyes flew open and I glanced around. What—oh. 

“Ben?” I mind linked. 

“James! Thank god! You know how worried we’ve been back here? Thought the rogues took you down. How’s the stake-out going? Why’s it taking so long?”

I sighed. I had almost forgotten why I was here in the first place. I was supposed to be staking out these rogues in order to make a plan to kill them. My pack was waiting for me.

“We’re not going ahead with the execution,” I told Ben.

“What? Why?”

“They aren’t crazy. It seems they’ve made a make-shift pack of their own.”

“James...I respect your opinion, but, as your beta, I think it necessary to remind you that these rogues are the same that killed—”

“I know what we’ve found!” I interrupted him harshly. “I am your alpha and I am calling off the kill.”

Ben sighed through the link, “Yes, Alpha James. When should we expect you back?”

It was my turn to sigh. Ben was my best friend and by calling me by my title he was telling me that he didn’t like the way I had talked to him. But I am alpha and I shouldn’t be questioned. 

“Well? Alpha?”

“I’m not sure when you should expect me back, Ben. I’m busy here.”

“With what?” Ben asked incredulously. 

“As opposed to the kill, I want to see if I can get these rogues to join our pack.”

“WHAT? Are you crazy?”

I sent a growl his way. “You may be two towns over, but I will not tolerate your questioning.” 

“Yes, Alpha. Is there a reason you want these rogues so badly?”

“As a matter of fact—” I had started to respond but then stopped as I heard Isabella whimpering. 

Shit. What happened?

I ran to her, forgetting Ben, and took a leap over a log to reach her sleeping wolf quicker. I nudged her muzzle with mine. She whimpered louder. Is she having a nightmare? 

“Izzy?” I mind linked her. 

Her eyes screwed up and she let out a whine. 

“Izzy?” I was more urgent this time and I continued to push her with my muzzle. 

She continued to whimper and whine and squirm until all at once her body stilled and her eyes opened. 

“Izzy?” 

Her eyes widened. 

“James?”

I shivered and gave her a wolfish grin. I love the way my name sounds with her voice. “Yeah, it’s me.”

“Oh.”

“Are you okay, Angel? You kept whimpering. Did you have a nightmare?”

“No. I was just getting some advice.”

“What?” I asked, confused at her answer. 

“Nothing. Can you shift?” she asked. 

I raised a wolf brow but nodded and continued to shift. Once in human form I looked down at her only to see she was missing. 

“Isabella?” I called out. 

“Right here,” she said and peeked her head out from behind a tree. She was blushing. It was a lovely sight. 

“Are you naked behind that tree?” I grinned at her. 

“Yes,” she gave me a smile that didn’t look so much amused at what I said but more happy to entertain me. It was gone in a second and she frowned then glanced up at me. “James?”

“Yes?” I asked. 

“Can you just...hold me?”

I frowned at her. What was wrong with my beautiful mate? “What’s wrong, Izzy?”

She sighed and shook her head, looking down. 

I walked over to her wrapped my arms around her naked frame making her gasp. “Isabella?”

“Yes, James?”

“You can talk to me.”

She sighed again and frowned then giggled as a mischievous grin came on her face. “Good because I have a lot of questions.”

Oh lord. 

_____________________________________________________________________________

QUESTION: What do you want to know about James and his pack?

COMMENT VOTE FOLLOW

FearTheDrumline