Chapter Five

Ecclesiastes 3:1 (GNT) -- Everything that happens in this world happens at the time God chooses.

I cautiously made my way through the school hallways. Jake's appearance at the party must have meant he returned to town. If this was true, my life will travel downhill quickly.

I resisted the urge to pull my hair up and out of my face. But if Jake was here, hiding is my best option. After watching the floor the entire way into school, I looked up to see Ryan waiting my locker. Her eyes searched the crowded hallway, presumably looking for me.

I placed myself right beside her, and it still took a second for her to notice me. "Ryan, I'm right here."

Her jaw dropped. "Kaitlyn! No way!" I looked at the awe-struck girl with a confused face.

"What's the big deal, Ryan?"

"Your hair!" she squealed. I ran my fingers through my long locks nervously. "I mean," She continued, "It looks so good but I have not seen you with your hair down for the longest time."

I thought about it then laughed. It's true. I rarely wore my hair down. I glanced at my unusual wardrobe as well. I had on loose sweatpants and a t-shirt; the sweatpants were tucked into a pair of Ugg lookalikes. I guessed I'd do anything to not attract Jake.

Ryan clucked unapprovingly. "Girlfriend, this is not the way to hide from Jake. You look like a mess. If your dad didn't ask you to come back, I would have helped you this morning."

"Ryan, if I wear anything else, he will either know the clothes are mine or recognize my legs in a dress. Oh, and I think I left some clothes at your house."

Ryan smirked. "Yeah, you did. But there is nothing wrong with a toned pair of legs." I rolled my eyes and adjusted my bag on my shoulder. "Besides, Kaitlyn, I don't think he is here. I haven't seen him at all, and this school's gossip mill doesn't have any information."

"Who isn't here?" A voice said next to me and Ryan. I jumped and saw Sam. The locker next to mine was open and he was in the process of pulling books and notebooks out of it.

"None of your business," I shot back.

"Well, you guys keep talking about some mysterious Jake person." I looked at Sam and he shrugged. Ryan's mouth was wide open and she couldn't take her eyes off Sam. I nudged Ryan to get her attention.

She nudged me back then started to talk. "Hi, Sam. I'm Ryan, Kaitlyn's best friend. I don't think we have met." Sam held his hand out to shake.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Ryan. Nice to know you have some manners, unlike Kaitlyn here." He nodded his head in my direction.

I protested until I saw Sam's wink. I tried to play it off. "Ryan, let's go to class. I just need to grab my books." Instead of waiting, though, Ryan smirked and took off. I sighed and opened my locker. Sam was waited next to me.

"Can I help you?" I asked him and he shook his head.

"I just noticed on your schedule that we both go to English."

I grabbed my English book and faced the gray-eyed boy. "You are popping up everywhere recently. You aren't my stalker, are you?" I said completely seriously and tried to not smile.

Sam laughed out loud, receiving some looks from passing students. "You caught me, Kaitlyn." I tried really hard not to blush; the way he said my name sounded so nice. Stupid accent. "Now can we go to class? The bell will ring-" The bell rang before he finished. "Now."

"We?" I said with a raised eyebrow. Sam nodded, and then hooked his arm with mine. We started our walk down the hallway filled with bustling people. I received some weird looks from people, but I always do. This time, however, it's probably because Sam and I are walked down the hall together arm-in-arm.