Chapter Thirteen

James 4:17 (NIV) -- If anyone, then, knows the good they ought to do and doesn't do it, it is sin for them.

I woke up the next morning with knocking on my door. My dad called out, "Kaitlyn, are you awake?" I sat up slowly and cleared my throat.

"Yeah, I am," I muttered sleepily.

"Okay. Just making sure. Could you come down to the kitchen when you are ready?"

"Sure," I replied, then leaned back onto my pillow, but I groaned. A unusually bright sun was shining right into my eyes. I didn't want to fight it, so I got up. When I pushed myself up, I almost cried out in pain from my sore arms. I carefully ripped off my t-shirt and gasped at what I saw in the mirror.

Where Jake had gripped him, huge and dark bruises formed on my biceps. Any short-sleeved tops were out of the question. Thankfully, the spring days are still in the colder mode. I grabbed makeup to hide the handprints. Better safe than sorry. 

I grabbed a light sweater, skinny jeans, and lace-up combat boots. After getting dress, I braided my hair messily to the side. Looking once into the mirror, I smiled. I like mirrors because they only reflect what they see, not what is hidden.

I decided to finally head downstairs to the kitchen. Dad held a steaming cup of coffee in his hand. I nodded when I walked in and walked over to the fridge. I opened the door, grabbed an apple, and sat down. Dad cleared his throat.

"So, I'm fairly interested in Sam."

"Okay?"

"What is he like, Kaitlyn? If he is going to be over often, I want to know who is at my house."

I thought for a second, then answered. "Sam moved here from the South. His favorite color is yellow. He is very responsible and a good student, or that's what I've concluded. Oh, and his dad is a preacher."

Dad raised an eyebrow. "So he's spiritual?"

I rolled my eyes, but smiled at the same time. "Yes, Dad. But I still don't listen to him."

Dad nodded and took a sip of coffee. "I think his dad is the new preacher here in town. I've heard his sermons. Mr. Collins is great at his job."

I nodded while checking my phone. It was time to leave, so I stood and said, "Bye Dad. Have a nice day."

"Bye, Kaitlyn. You too. Thanks."

Thanks for a normal conversation. That rarely happens, and it was Sam's doing.

Outside, the sun blinded me. Though the air held a morning chill, the sparkling grass reflected the sunlight. I could see the budding leaves on surrounding trees. I love the smell of spring coming. I hopped into my  newly-fixed car and drove to school.

Pulling into the parking lot, I quickly found a empty space. Once I was parked, I dug through my bag from my notebook. I took it out and wrote down a quick poem. While barely ten lines, I captured the feeling of today perfectly.

Satisfied, I stepped out of my car with my bag on my shoulder. In the car next to me, Ryan stepped out and squealed, "Kaitlyn!" She dropped her pompoms on the ground and ran to me. She wrapped her arms around me in a tight hug.

"Kaitlyn, I can't wait to tell you about my date! Steven, that's his name, acted like such a gentleman. We rode to this pretty park on his motorcycle and he led me into the woods. He had set up a small picnic. After we ate, we rode a boat on the lake. It was perfect!"

I smiled. "I'm glad, Ryan. Steven sounds way different from your other dates. I would kill to have someone do that for me!"

Ryan giggled and looked dreamily into space. "He said he can't wait for our second date."