Chapter Seven

Deuteronomy 31:6 (NIV) --  "Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."

I sat in my car after school, waiting and thinking. How can I again avoid Jake? Why is he back in the first place? Is he here purely to terrorize me? Can't he leave me alone?

Suddenly, a knock on the window interrupted my inner monologue. Speak of the devil and he shall arrive.

Jake stood outside my car with his always-present frown. I rolled the window down slowly and all hell broke loose. "Who the hell was that mother f-cker, Kaitlyn? I don't like that you let him touch you. Let me guess, you two must have sex every night. The bitch and a bastard. The perfect couple. Well, I want to teach that f-ck a lesson for hitting on my girl!" Jake yelled, cursing me out.

I flinched and spoke softly. "Jake, baby," I choked on the word baby. "I haven't kissed him, and neither has he kissed me. He is just a classmate I barely know."

Jake calmed down slightly. "He still doesn't need to be putting his hands all over you." I rubbed my temple feeling a headache coming on. "I don't like him touching you at all."

I finally had enough. "Well, at least he doesn't hurt me!" 

Jake snarled, so I quickly shifted into reverse, pulled out, and then shifted to go. I sped out of the parking lot, leaving Jake yelling behind me.

I went about two blocks before stopping on the side of the road. I laid my head down on the steering wheel, expecting tears, but was surprised when nothing came. I was too shell-shocked to see Jake again. Of course, I can't forget that Sam wants to know Jake while he has to learn about my past. What is happening to my life right now?

I really want a beer right now. "No you don't," my inner self argued. "You will not touch any form of alcohol again, Kaitlyn Faith Hill." I sighed, knowing inner Kaitlyn was right. I'm not going to resort to drinking to solve my problems.

It was time for me to head home anyways. I thought about calling in an early night.

The drive home seemed like a blank, an empty shell pulling into the driveway. Blank mind and stare, I entered my house and blinked in surprise. Dad was waiting there by the door. If looks could kill...

"Hey, Dad," I said with caution. "What's up?"

"Oh I don't know. Maybe you should tell me. Like what is up with your behavior lately? You left school during school hours!"

I sighed. "I'm really sorry, Dad."

He sighed too, and looked like he wanted to say something more. "Just don't make it a habit, Kaitlyn. School is good for you."

"Yes, Dad. But would you mind if I took a nap down here? I'm exhausted from school." He nodded and I made my way straight to the couch. I didn't know how tired I really was until I started to fall asleep as my head hit the decorative pillow.

While napping, I dreamed to remember the times with Jake. Times I really wish I don't remember. I woke up when three loud knocks echoed through the house. And I was confused. I woke up with the feeling of not knowing what year, month, and hour it is. 

Once I realized where I was, I rushed to the door to open it and let in the angry pounder. "Kaitlyn Faith Hill!" my best friend screamed. "Why did you not answer my calls and texts? Where on earth have you been? We searched everywhere for you and you couldn't even answer the door for us."

I stared at her like I didn't know what she was saying. Because I don't know. All I got from her rant was 'us'. "Who is this 'us' you are talking about?" I asked.

Ryan took a deep breath. "Because that's the most important thing," she muttered. Then she pointed behind herself and that's when I noticed Sam standing there.

"What is he doing here?" I said under my breath and Ryan grinned.

"He saw Jake approach your car and you drive off mad. He told me and then we had to make sure you were okay."

Sam cleared his throat. "He is standing right here."

I flashed him a glare. "I really don't want you here right now."

"Maybe I want to be here."

"Too bad."

"You know, Kaitlyn, maybe you should let people be your friend and not push them away." Sam grinned at me, but I continued to glare.

"Okay, well, as tempting as it is to watch you guys stare at each other, I'm going to go inside. Kaitlyn, Sam is going to stay here. And don't worry, you don't have to talk to him," Ryan reasonably stated.

"How will that work out?" I said, doubt and curiosity creeping into my voice.

"We are going to watch our favorite movie to get your mind off of a stupid jerk. Movie plus food equals no talking." Ryan beamed a proud smile.

I considered this for a while, then asked, "What movie?"

Ryan squealed. "I knew that would work! I brought John Tucker Must Die!" I smiled and followed Ryan into my own house. Sam was right behind me.

Ryan plopped down on the chair that she always sits in. I headed to the kitchen to make popcorn. Once it was done, I poured it into three bowls and walked to the living room. Sam was sitting on the couch, which is where I sit. So I sat on the opposite end.

I gave Ryan and Sam their popcorn, and Ryan started the movie. John Tucker Must Die was my favorite movie ever, but I could not focus at all. Sam was making me too nervous; I did not want to be around him right now.

I was so focused on him, and Jake, I couldn't even smile at the part when John Tucker gets his team to wear thongs in basketball. Well, maybe I smiled a bit...

Shortly after that part, Ryan stood up. "Kaitlyn, babe, I'm using your bathroom really quick."

In my head, I screamed after her, "Don't leave me with him!" But instead, I stayed silent.

Sam was the first to break the silence. "Why can't we be friends, Kaitlyn? That's all I'm asking." A grunt escaped my lips, so he continued. "The project will be easier because then you'll want to open up."

"I don't want to open up. You and our dumb teacher don't need to know about my effed up life."

"Kaitlyn."

"Sam, I mean it. I'm not some cute little girl with first world problems. Real things happened, and I don't want to talk about it," I said sharply.

Sam was quiet, but then continued to talk. "It's good to talk out your problems, you know, to ease the invisible weight. Maybe God had-"

I stopped him mid-sentence. "Don't say that."

"God had brought me into-"

"Shut up!!"

"-your life so you can open up."

I blinked away the hot tears I could feel forming. "Don't ever say His name around me again."

"Kaitlyn," Sam started to say but I didn't let him.

"Its time for you to leave." Sam didn't even argue; he just sighed and walked out. I laid down and started to cry.

Ryan then entered the room and gasped when she heard me. "Kaitlyn what did Sam do?"

"Nothing," I sniffed. "I'm just upset from this whole day." Then I looked up at my dear friend. "Will you stay the night?"

"Of course I will. My best friend needs me!"

That's how Ryan and I ended up sleeping in the living room with John Tucker on repeat.

A/N: all I want to say is sorry for the temporary hold. I was determined to finish "Clique Love Story. And I did! so go check it out:)

^^ Please don't be afraid to check out "Cliche Love Story" ^-^ Old Author's Note but it still holds true