Chapter 1: Give 'Em Hell

"For the love of all, Sang! We've been over this! You shouldn't work alone," Dr. Phil Roberts, my father figure for the past seven years, ever since he saved me from my piece of shit real dad, stressed for about the zillionth time since I'd met him.

"You're right. We have," I conceded, "But I tried it your way, again, and the Reed team just wasn't working out for me," No bird team ever worked out for me. The only time I ever felt even the slightest bit at home in a team was when I collaborated with a few dog teams here and there over the years when they were in need of a bird for their missions. We were a rarity afterall. Especially a ghostbird like myself. It's probably the sole reason why the Academy has put up with my shit for so long, if I'm being honest with you.

"You can't keep going off by yourself, it's dangerous!" I gave him my signature raised eyebrow and a face that said, 'Really? This old song and dance, again?' I mean, what did he expect? He knew I didn't exactly get along with most birds, but I had my reasons... and I had my reasons for going off on my own on my latest mission with Rebecca Reed and her so-peppy-I-could-puke team. The mission was over, all that was left to do was report in the morning, and they wanted to have a celebratory sleep-over at the motel we'd set up as homebase for the night? Yeah- No, thanks. I'll skip the braiding of hair, heavy scent of nail polish and group hugs. A cringe ran through me. Ugh, especially the group hugs.

Ever since my vindictive stepmother and her perfect 'real' daughter, my sister, Marie, both physically and mentally tortured me, I haven't been that big on contact, of any kind if I can help it, from the whole gender. It wasn't just them either. Although, if you ask me, their abuse was certainly more than enough to leave it's psychological scar. No, my mom allowed Marie and her friends to inflict whatever torture they saw fit on days where she was too weak to do so herself. Never boys though. Marie's friends were always girls because that was the one standard she held to both of us. Apparently she didn't want either of us to get pregnant like my "whore of mother." At the time I didn't know that though. I didn't learn she wasn't my mother until I finally left that godforsaken place for good. All I knew was what she told us; We would be kidnapped, raped, and murdered by any man we dared to speak to, just like all those girls on the news. Funnily enough, males are not the gender I now have a problem with.

Even though he'd brought up me leaving the Reed team, without informing them I should probably add, I knew that wasn't what he was really talking about. "Show me the rule," I demanded. "Show me the rule that says I can't work by myself," knowing very well exactly what the rules were.

"You know full and well what the rules are Sang," yep, "But there is no I in team, and you eventually need a team," he sighed, placing his elbows on his desk and rubbing his hands over his wrinkly face.

Like hell I do, "There may be no I in team, but there is a me. As in me, myself, and I. As cliché as it might sound, I work alone," sighing I added under my breath like the angsty 19 year old I am, "Besides, if my own family didn't want me, why would anyone else's?"

"MISS SORENSON!" Dr. Roberts boomed, making me flinch and immediately regret my words. "As you know, family is a choice, and if you'd choose those abusive monsters you called parents as family, then I find your opinion highly questionable," his voice suddenly became considerably softer, "You just haven't found the right match yet, but it will happen, given time," Yeah, it's the time part I'm not exactly keen on after seven years of bouncing from team to team. Clearing his throat, his expression hardened into the stern authority figure once more as he said, "Now, if you ever say such blatantly disrespectful lies about yourself again, I'll give you hours myself! Off with you, now! I need to go smooth over some ruffled feathers with the birds over on the Reed team," Oh yeah, I may have neglected to mention that on my way out one of the girls on the team caught up to me and tried to stop me, so... I clocked her. Right in the nose. I know, I know. Not my finest moment, but definitely not my worst one either. Besides, she grabbed me in a dark alley, what was I supposed to do? Ask first, get stabbed by the big scary shadow of a human in the alleyway later? I don't think so. I really hope I didn't break anything though.

Dr. Roberts phone vibrated on the desk, signalling he had a message. Glancing down to read it quickly he looked back up at me and continued, "And you have a team to meet with members you hopefully don't wish to punch," he tried to say it firmly, but failed when a small smirk entered his face. I blushed slightly at the memory of my mistake. "You, my dear, have a new mission. The Toma team needs a bird, and you're it. Rest up, this is long term. I'll send you the information in the morning and you can decide if you want to take the case within the week," he added more as standard procedure than anything else, knowing full good and well that I'd be taking the case.

Chuckling, I stood up to leave, threw on my leather jacket and a, "Yes, sir," over my shoulder. The Toma team, huh? I hadn't met them yet. This should be fun. I always loved the chance to play with some dogs.

"Oh, and Sang?" he asked.

"Hmm?" I hummed, turning to face him.

"Give 'em hell," he winked.

"You know I will," I smirked, walking out the door with a little more bounce in my step than I had walking in. I had a good feeling about this.