Chapter 17: Alexei Mikhailov

Three days later, I got a call from Doctor Roberts letting me know that mission day had finally arrived.

The paperwork had been sorted earlier than expected, so I was to immediately report to Academy Headquarters for an introductory meeting with the team I'd be temporarily joining.

The Toma Team.

I sent up a quick prayer that these guys knew what they were doing, and a quick thank you that this wasn't a bird team.

When I headed out that morning, I was dressed in my usual outfit of a tank top, leather jacket, skinny jeans, and boots. I had my hair in a high ponytail, and Kick Ass right where she belonged in my holster.

When I arrived, I took my usual parking space, and hightailed it inside, eager to finally have a distraction.

Over the past few days, aside from a few quick conversations and some healthy flirting, I hadn't really heard from Axel, Corey, Brandon, Marc, or Raven.

But to be fair, they hadn't really heard from me either.

As per Phil's orders, I had spent my time resting up and studying case files. According to Axel, his team had an important mission coming up soon too, so they seemed to be in the same boat as I was.

That was the major problem with dating inside of the Academy. Chances are, you'd both have little to no free time, and what time you did had, often didn't match up with what the other person had.

I told myself I didn't mind. In truth, I usually didn't. I suppose the fact that I was now going to attempt to split my already very limited time five different ways, however, was contributing to my stress.

Walking past reception I said, "Hey, Al!" Smiling politely, and waving at the old man who was so often there to greet me. He was in his 70's but, despite that fact, the old dog would work until his dying day. He loved it too much to retire. So Doctor Roberts obliged him with this job. This way Albert could still be helpful, but Phil didn't have to worry about him dropping dead of a heart attack in the field.

"Why hello there, little birdy, what can I do for you today?" he returned with a smile that crinkled up his eyes.

"Sorry, Al. Nothing today. I was given the office number in advance this time," I shrugged apologetically, heading for the elevators.

"Ah, a meeting, is it?" he grinned, knowingly. These usually didn't go too well for me. Especially when birds were involved. Thankfully that wasn't the case this time.

"Yes, sir. I've got some dogs to train," I winked.

He barked out a laughed, "They're not gonna know what hit'em."

I smirked in reply. Hopefully there wouldn't be any hitting today...

Now in the elevator, I pressed 'Floor 3' and waited until the doors opened once more.

Pulling out my phone, I glanced at the time. I was still a few minutes early, but I'd bet good money Phil was already waiting in the boardroom.

Making my way through the maze of hallways, I finally stopped at door number 314.

Standing in front of it, I made sure to knock in a random pattern, not wanting to interrupt Doctor Roberts if he was already in there with the team.

When the door swung open, none other than Raven was there to greet me.

I blinked once. Twice. Three times.

Wha- How-?

I heard chuckling and looked with still wide eyes to the man behind him.