Chapter 7: So Much For First Impressions

I felt her hands around my neck, cutting off any and all oxygen. I knew I was going to die. And a part of me was okay with it, and even accepted that this was my end, as my vision slowly faded to black. At least she couldn't hurt me anymore...

Waking up, I gasped for air as tears ran down my cheeks.

    Well, so much for a goodnight's sleep.

    I crawled out of bed and made my way to the kitchen for a chocolate chip pancake breakfast to cheer me up.

    I hadn't had a nightmare in awhile. Honestly, it was probably a personal record. But more often than not, just when I thought the nightmares were gone, they'd return just as swiftly.

Thinking about what could have triggered it as I added a very generous amount of chocolate chips to the batter, it didn't take long for me to realize it must've been Bryan and the mission yesterday. Letting those memories back in to help that kid must've let it all back in, and I just knew that I'd be having nightmares again for a very long time.

    After breakfast, I finally felt well enough to check my messages and was surprised at what I found, to say the least. A series of pick-up lines was there to greet me, and if the pancakes hadn't cheered me up, the messages certainly would have. They must've been sent after I was already out for the count.

At first I was confused. This didn't sound like Axel.

Was he drunk...? He didn't seem like the type.

I laughed when I read the last message.

Axel: Sorry about that, Apple Dumplin'. Please ignore those. My roommates are dicks. -The Real Axel.

His roommates seem like... interesting people, I chuckled.

Sang: Your roommates have some smooth moves. Maybe I should be having dinner with them instead. ;-)

Axel: Oh, you don't want to do that. They're actually lepers. Bald, eighty year old lepers. With missing toes... and arms. Now, aren't I the better option?

I snorted, Such antics. I suppose if he's going to go through all that trouble of lying, I really should give him a chance.

Sang: Oo! Bald eighty year old lepers with missing limbs. Dirty talk like that might get you somewhere. I suppose you can still be of some use and pick up the ingredients. Feel free to drop them off and then find something to do for the night. Don't wait up. -Xx

Axel: I happen to know every woman's weakness. Besides, who doesn't love bald eighty year old lepers with missing limbs? How about I make you a deal, we'll follow through with our dinner as planned, and if it doesn't work out, then I'll set you up with one of my old invalid roommates?

Sang: Hmm... Alright, you've won me over. See you tonight.

Wrapping up our conversation, I sent Axel an attached list of ingredients I'd need for dinner and went about my day.

Having nothing better to do, I went to the store to get the items I'd need as a surprise for dessert, as well as a bottle of heavy-duty shampoo that should rinse out the rest of this red hair dye.

I spent the rest of the day making chocolate ice cream cone cupcakes, returning my hair to it's natural dirty blonde, getting ready for my date, and all that encompassed.

By 6:20pm I had my dirty blonde hair curled and pinned back on the sides, was wearing my black ankle boots, black ripped jeans, black flowy tank top, and a tan leather jacket for some color with Kick-Ass in a holster under it.