Chapter One

"You can't be serious!" My mom shrieked and she slammed her hand on the table, "By tomorrow?! How am I supposed to do that?!"

"She's probably on the phone with the mortgage company." My younger sister whispered to me as we both sat on the stairs, "That doesn't sound too good."

"Well," I sighed, "Looks like i'm going to need a job, no matter what mom says."

"But mom said you need to focus on school!-"

"Riley." I scowled, "Do you see our mom struggling?! I have to do something."

"But-" Riley looked down, "Are you sure? You said school is getting pretty hard on you-"

"It's fine." I stood up and began to walk out the door, "Let's go to school, Riley."

"Okay Quinn." Riley got up and followed me out the door.

My mother is in trouble. She's financially unstable and she's been struggling ever since our dad died. She has been working and working, having sleepless nights that were painful to sit back and watch. I want a job, but mother just tells me to work hard in school, but I can't just sit back anymore, I have to help.

"Do you think that mom will be okay?" Riley looked up to me as we walked to school on the sidewalk

"Yeah.." I said with unassurance, "But I think that helping will boost her up a lot."

"Quinn," Riley looked down on the ground as we continued to walk, "I really hope mom will be okay, But you working too is just going to be more stressful. Work is piling up on you."

"It's fine Riley." I smiled, "Getting a job won't hurt me."

"Oops." A little boy came by and splashed water on Riley and I, dirty water. He was riding fast on the bike and the wheel triggered the splash.

"What the hell?!" I yelled at the laughing boy as he strolled away, ignoring me

"Ugh, Raider." Riley rolled her eyes, "He's in my class..that jerk.." Riley held her skirt, "Look at us, we're wet and dirty."

"We are.." I looked down on my skirt also, "How are we supposed to go to school with our uniforms dirty?"

"I know.." Riley sighed as we began walking

"No turning back now.." I sighed, "We're late anyways.."

"Such a jerk!" Riley suddenly yelled as she looked like she was going to cry

"Are you okay Riley-"

"I can't take this anymore!" Riley began to cry, "We have no money! We can't afford new clothes or food to provide for us, and Mom is sad and depressed and I just can't do this anymore!" Riley fell to her knees as she covered her eyes so no one could see the tears falling out, "Why did dad have to die?! If he was here, we wouldn't be in this situation!"

"Riley, please, stop.."

"If only we were rich and not poor!"

"That is enough  Riley!" I snapped, "That's it! Stop!" I picked her up and put her in front of me, "Listen! We are lucky! We should be gateful! Even though we are not as wealthy as others, there are people who have it way worse than us!" I wiped the tears off her face, "We get food on the table everynight, and that one thing should make you grateful! We're more blessed than you think!"

"Quinn.." Riley stared at me as she sniffled

"Trust me."  I smiled, "We are going to be fine." I nudged her, "Let's get to school."

"Okay.." Riley held my hand as we both walked onto the school campus together.

****
"Quinn, what happened to your uniform?" The teacher stared at me as I walked into the classroom