Chapter 2

Chris, Zeke and I walk through the halls of the compound, making our way to the Cafeteria.

I never leave my apartment except for work or hanging out with my friends, which is very rare.

I get in line to grab a small bite to eat. I walk to our regular table. Zeke pats my back as I find a seat next to him.

"Finally decided to eat with us," he says with a small smile which I return. It's not the same without the gang. No Uriah to make lame jokes, or Lynn to be bored, or Marlene to make out with Uriah. Everything is different without our gang. Without Tris. Nothing is the same.

I eat my food quietly. Not talking.

Just then, Christina comes holding cake... Dauntless Cake.

My eyes light up. For the first time in a long time. Chris and Zeke both laugh and she hands me the plate. I don't hesitate before digging in.

I probably have cake all over my face but I don't care. I don't care.

"You know what we should do tonight, PARTY at my place!" Zeke screams.

Chris and I both nod in agreement. I guess it won't hurt to play. It's been a long time.

"What time should we be there?" Chris asks.

"6 should be fine," Zeke says in response.

We finish eating and I head to my apartment. As I walk down the hall I see someone standing in front of my door. I walk towards them.

"Hello, Evelyn," I say. She turns around and smiles.

"I've missed you, Tobias. How are you doing?"

How am I doing? I think. Finally I say, "I'm okay." She nods.

She moves out of the way for me to open the door. I invite her inside and she gladly accepts the invite.

We both sit on the couch. "What are your plans for today?" She asks.

"I'm going to a friends place for a party."

"That's good. You should spend more time with your friends." I nod along as she speaks. "Speaking of going out, have you decided if you are going to train initiates this year?"

Should I answer that? What do I have to lose? "Um, ya I was thinking about it," I say honestly.

"I'm glad to hear that. I know you love scaring the crap out of people," she says, laughing slightly.

I don't think before laughing along with her.

I see Evelyn turn around to look at the time. 5:30. "Well, I should let you get ready for the party. See you later, Tobias," she says. She makes her way to the door. I open it for her. 

Before she leaves I manage to say, "Bye, Evelyn." I shut the door.

I decide to take a quick shower, seeing that I still have thirty minutes. I wear my usual clothes. A black shirt, black pants and my black leather jacket. Before leaving my apartment I slip on my combat books and lock the door behind me.

I make my way to Zeke's place.

I knock on the door and it opens seconds later. Zeke is holding a beer in one hand. Not surprising. "Welcome to Zeke's Palace!" I nod in response and walk in.