Chapter Eleven.

Westlyn.

"There's a silver car parked in front of your house," I say nudging Finn awake. He opens his eyes slowly, smiles at me, and pulls me closer. I push him away, "the car, Finn."

That seems to wake him up. He jumps out of bed and looks out the window that faces the front of the house. The silver car is right on the edge of his driveway and has been there for at least a half hour now.

"Shit," Finn jumps out of bed, pulls pants and a t-shirt on in record time, and runs out of the room. He comes back seconds later, "if Peyton wakes up keep her in her room."

I nod at his instructions my heart rate suddenly picking up speed. I look out the window just in time to see Finn rush out of the house. He looks like he is going to attack whoever is in the car. 

A girl walks towards him. She is wearing a colorful dress and her hair is long and dark, from what I can see. Finn starts to slow down as my breathing picks up. The girl wraps her arms around Finn's neck and kisses him right on the mouth.

I close my eyes quickly and try to control my breathing as my hands curl into first at my side. I try to remind myself that Finn is only a fun distraction until I can get my life back on track. But why does it feel like my heart is about to explode?

When I open my eyes their arms are still wrapped around each other but they are no longer kissing. Finn steps away from her just as Peyton starts crying from her bedroom.

"Hey P," I say picking her up and holding her close.

"Da-da da-da," she looks over my shoulder for Finn then back at me.

"He'll be back soon," I tell her and she smiles like she understands what I'm saying.

I place some toys and books on the floor of Peyon's bedroom and attempt to follow Finn's instructions to keep her in here. My mind keeps replaying the way that girl's arms wrapped around his neck in such a familiar way, like she owned him.

"What the fuck. Why is Laney here?" I here Maddy say from the front of the house.

"Maddy!" I call for her.

She walks in, her hair is a mess, her makeup everywhere, "looks like you had a fun night," I say.

"Shut up," She rolls her eyes, "and it looks like you did too." Her eyes roam over me from top to bottom and I realize that I am wearing one of Finn's t-shirts.

"I'm sorry," I say.

"I'm not stupid, Westlyn."  Maddy sighs,"But don't hurt him. Because don't forget who else you'd be hurting," I look at Peyton and then back to Maddy, "and you'd also be hurting me."

I nod.

"When can we start being honest with each other?" Maddy asks taking a seat on the floor.

"Whenever you want," I say because I'm not the one that willingly withheld information. I didn't share because Maddy never shared her life.

"Why did you rush to the hospital the other morning?" she asks.

"My mom has cancer and doesn't want any further treatment."

Maddy nods, "that really fucking sucks."

I laugh as my eyes start to water, "yeah it really does." Maddy hugs me and it feels nice like maybe we can start seeing each other as real friends.

"Can I ask you something?"

"Sure," Maddy says.

"That's Peyton's mom?"

Maddy nods.

"What's with her and Finn?"

"I don't think they've been anything since she left," Maddy shrugs.

"They kissed." I try to control the shaking in my voice. Maddy puts her hand on my shoulder to help herself up.

"Do yourself a favor, West, don't get too involved with him until he figures all that shit out."

He's just a distraction.

The front door opens I hear Maddy say, "you let her in here?"

I hear an unfamiliar voice that sounds like melting honey, "well don't you look hungover. Same old Maddy, huh?"

"Fuck you." And Maddy's door slams.

Finn slips inside the room and Peyton automatically goes to him with her arms up. He scoops her up and looks towards me. He looks everywhere but directly at me, "thanks."

"What do you want me to do now?" I ask.

He runs his fingers through his hair, "West, this isn't supposed to happen. I don't know what I'm doing." He looks terrified.

"Why is she here?" I ask.

"She wants to be in Peyton's life."

"Well screw that," I say.

"It's not that simple," Finn answers.

Laney walks into Peyton's room, she quickly looks at Peyton then her eyes stay locked on me. She is gorgeous up close. Long auburn hair, tall, with a dimpled smile. 

"Who're you?" She asks with that sickeningly sweet voice.

I look to Finn for some sort of direction but he is frozen watching this scene unfold, "Maddy's friend."

She laughs and I want to slap her so hard she flies back into her car and we never hear from her again, "you're sleeping with one of Maddy's friends?" She asks Finn and laughs again then looks me up and down, "well she is your type."

"Okay you need to leave and I'll call you tomorrow." Finn says handing Peyton to me and taking Laney's hand in his. Is it wrong that I'm picturing slicing her hand off with a knife? Probably.

"Why can't I stay? I want to see my daughter."

"You've had over a year of chances to see Peyton and you chose to leave. So lets take this one day at a time. Okay?" Finn is flustered. I've never seen him so unsure of himself before.

"Fine. I'll play by your rules for now, Finn. But don't forget. I always win and I don't play fair."

** Thanks again for reading, commenting, voting!

-Brooke