Chapter Fourteen.

Westlyn

Without Finn, Peyton, and Maddy I was stuck at home with my crumbling family. Mom and Dad have been separated but not divorced for a while now, it was a confusing thing to explain and to actually make sense of. They live together but they don't interact much.

Mom was sick, she didn't work much, and she really couldn't take care of herself. Dad loved her too much to kick her out but he knew they weren't in love anymore. They never brought home their dates if they ever went on any. They were in this weird middle ground between being with each other and being apart and I don't think they knew how to handle it.

I wonder if that is how Finn felt about Laney.

Mom was taking a nap on the living room couch while Dad was in the kitchen drinking his fourth cup of coffee of the day. He was shaking his head over the sports section of the newspaper.

"Hey Westie," he said his smile making the wrinkles near his eyes stand out.

"I'm not going to college in the Fall." His hazel eyes widened at my sudden outburst of honesty.

"I'm planning to go to college. Just not yet." My voice wavered only slightly as I spoke.

Dad put his mug down and folded his hands on top of the newspaper, "and what do you plan on doing?" His calm demeanor was all an act. I could see the vein in his forehead throbbing, my brother had the same one.

"Travel, think, I don't know. I just need to figure things out."

"College is where we figure things out," he says.

"I'm not going to figure anything out being shoved into another four years of classes that I don't even want to take, Dad."

Mom wandered into the kitchen slowly. Dad and I stopped arguing to watch her, "I'm proud of you, Westlyn." She said kissing my cheek.

Dad was speechless. I won this battle.

***

I'm not sure if it was the lingering courage and adrenaline from my non-fight with Dad but I decided to drive to see Finn. He was constantly on my mind as more than the distraction I had planned for him. I don't know if it was because he actually seemed to listen when I spoke or the calming sound of his voice that I couldn't get enough of.

I knock on the door and Maddy answers, "hey," she says leaving the door open and walking back into the house, "Finn isn't home yet. I think he took P to the doctor or something."

"Oh, is she okay?"

"Yeah just a checkup or some shit," Maddy mumbles.

"Okay. Well I'm here to see you too."

"Sure you are, kid." Maddy smirked and turned back to whatever show she was watching on T.V.

She looks at me, "just so you know, I told Finn we went with some guys because I wanted to piss him off."

I just nod. When Maddy decides to do something she never thinks about the outcome for anyone else.

It is something I've become used to during our short friendship and something that I don't find the need to do anything about. Maybe that makes me weak. Maybe it is why she can walk all over me. But I don't care and I don't know what that says about me.