Chapter Two - And The Fangs Are Hidden Behind Rose Red Lips

If it was possible, the year that passed after Frewin's unexpected death was colder and bleaker than the last. The sun never quite managed to break through the clouds pregnant with snow, though what little sunlight there was always blinded you if you stared at the crystal white ground for too long. The kingdom mourned and wept, but ultimately shed their black cloaks and gowns as the year came to a close.

But black, it seemed, was the only color I was truly comfortable in.

"The black one, Alice." I told the wide eyed maid, who was reaching for an ornate gown swathed in rose gold jewels. The thought of wearing it made my skin crawl.

"Which one, your Grace?" She asked softly.

"As long as black, I rely on your good judgement."

The truth was, I couldn't care less. I had loved the fine dresses and jewels during my first months in Krithane, but now they seemed dull to me.

Alice, my poor ladies maid, let out a tiny, mouse like huff, before descending into my ever darkening wardrobe. She was quite like a mouse, all small curves and wiry hair that couldn't quite be kept in place. She was silent too, most of the time. On bad days I wouldn't even hear her enter or leave my room.

But on bad days I couldn't be bothered to get out of bed, much less listen for my little mouse.

"The sun's setting earlier today." I noted, watching at the orange light lit up the frost crystals that grew like stubborn vines everywhere.

"Must be reaching the Dim Season, your Grace."

I nodded. I hated Dim Season. Krithane wasn't known for having annual seasons, and in the past few decades the cold and ice had only gotten worse. Instead of actual seasons like spring and fall, Krithane had Dim, Light and The Long Night. Dim for the months when the sun never quite touched the horizon, The Long Night for the two weeks it never rose, and Light for when it returned to normal.

And as much as I hated Dim, The Long Night had to be the worst.

I had only seen one, and it had been shortly after Frewin's death. The two bitter weeks spent locked in my room, struggling to keep the fire and candles alive without loosing my mind. Only the black outside my windows constantly clawing to get in was my companion. I'd never been so happy to see the sunrise that morning.

"Your Grace," Alice coaxed, and I turned away from the window and the thought of The Long Night.

She slipped me into the dress quite easily, the heaviness and bulk unlike anything I had worn before. I frowned at the black onyx covering the gown's midnight fabric. Thick and strong, but silky to the touch.

"Is this new?" I asked, as Alice laced me up in the back, tightening the bodice until I almost couldn't breathe

"Old, your Grace. But you'll make quite the statement."