Chapter Fourteen - A Kind, Savage Heart

Slooooowly starting to get to the good bits guys. And by good bits I mean where stuff actually happens XD I'm hoping to start picking up the pace within these next few chapters, light a fire under Maris and Beck's butts to get them moving or something like that. Maybe I need to light one under my own. XD

"I still can't believe it," Morgan murmured to herself, shaking her head as she gently wrapped bandages around my burned forearm. I grimaced at the pressure, no matter how light it was. The cooling salve she had applied before only seemed to amplify the roughness of the bandages.

"Amelia being a monster?" I asked.

"No," she sighed. "And yes. But mostly Marcus. He was such a nice man. It's terrible that he died. "

I glanced over at the chair he sat in during dinner only just last night. Empty now, and stranger looking now that morning sun filtered through the windows. It was terrible that he died. If I hadn't seen his body, I might've been just like Morgan, who denied it over and over since we told her and Theo. Marcus didn't seem like the kind of man that just . . . died. He was the type that had so much life and warmth that seeing it snatched away hurt more than I would've expected. I hadn't even known him long, but my heart felt heavy.

"Yes," I murmured, rubbing the pad of my thumb against the length of my finger. "It is terrible."

The front door opened, the chilled air sweeping in along with Beck and Theo. The Huntsman curses under his breath, shaking off the snow from his shoulders. Theo's nose was bright red and I could hear his teeth chattering from were I sat at the table.

"So it's done?" Morgan asked, turning towards both of them.

Beck nodded, but not to her. His eyes were fixed on mine and they're blue depths held something heavy and dark. He and Theo had gone to burn the body of the man in the kitchen and he came back different. Something told me it wasn't the first body he had burned.

Theo sighed, fiddling with the hem of his shirt. "I wish we knew who he was, so we could tell his family or . . . friends?"

"We did what we could." I told him softly.

"Oh!" Morgan exclaimed. "We could always ask if anyone knew him. Theo and I travel around so often, we're bound to find someone."

"That's a good idea," Beck nodded. "We might do the same, if we have the time." He turned back towards me. "Did you find some supplies?"

I nodded, trying not to think about what I saw in the kitchen as I grabbed what food I could fit in our bags. "Just enough, I think. We should be okay. If this takes longer than we think there's a few towns we could stop at."

"Alright. We should leave as soon as she's finished with your arm."

"What?" Morgan frowned. "You're leaving already?"

"We have no horses, and need to make it to the mines before nightfall." Beck explained. "I'd prefer not to be stuck outside once the sun sets."

"We would stay, if we could." I added. "But Beck's right."

Morgan sighed, tucking a strand of dark hair behind her ear. "Alright," she murmured. "I'm almost finished here. I'll give you extra bandages so you can change them out, which you should do once a day. Be sure to let it breathe also, it needs to scab over so it can heal properly.