Chapter Eleven - Of Strange Hospitality

So, I couldn't help myself and posted this chapter early XD Guys I'm super excited about these next few chapters. This one might not have a lot (or any) action in it but I'm finally introducing the darker side of Krithane and I'm ecstatic. I really hope y'all enjoy!

The inn was exactly where Beck had remembered. And it was exactly as strange as I thought it would be. Not that it wasn't a welcome sight, now that the sun was so low that shadows clung to the ground and snaked through the trees. The horses shied at every little noise, and I could hardly blame them. I felt eyes on me throughout our ride, and if Beck's stiff demeanor was any hint, he felt them too. All of us, horses included, relaxed slightly when we saw the warm lights of the inn through the trees.

It was larger than I imagined, a house standing two stories tall and built thick and wooden, as was Krithanian style. A comfortable looking stable stood off to the side, just as well built and warm, though I couldn't make out any horses from where I sat. The savory scent of stew wafted out to us from the inn, warming the air as it drifted past. Oh what I wouldn't give for something warm in my belly. Or in my hands. Or just to be warm, that would be nice.

Beck dismounted, and again, helped me down as well. It was to become a habit of his, I was sure of it. And he still hadn't called me by my name yet.

"While we're in there, please call me Maris." I told him, tossing my mare's reins over her head to lead her.

"Why? Don't want them to know they have their Queen present?"

"Exactly."

He frowned. "Surely they would recognize you."

I shrugged. "We do things differently here, Beck. Rulers don't send out paintings of themselves and there's rarely an opportunity for me to get out of the castle and . . ."

"Mingle?" He offered.

"Yes." I sighed.

"Kiss babies?"

"Really?"

"Grace small towns with your glorious presence?"

I was very close to hitting the grinning man when the inn door blew open and a beaming woman ran out. Her dress was thick and simple, a wool blanket wrapped tightly around her shoulders. Her long auburn hair was tied up in an elegant little knot with a braid circled in it, but many pieces had fallen out. She was pretty enough, her cheeks pink from the cold and her eyes alight with excitement. I thought it was odd at first, but one must not get many visitors out in the woods.

"Guests!" She said breathlessly as she neared us, stopping just short of running into my mare. "Just in time for dinner! Welcome, welcome!"

"Thank you." I said, putting on a smile, although it was not fake. Dinner and warmth sounded amazing. "We've had a long ride today and would love to stay the night at your inn."

"Oh, of course!" The woman laughed, tucking a stray hair behind her ear. "We would be delighted to have you. Come in, come in, you must be freezing. My son Braxton will take care of your mounts."

Almost as if he had be summoned by his mother's mention of his name, a tall boy no older than Snow appeared and took our horses from us. He was no where near as lively as his mother, and seemed to only share her looks. Indeed, he didn't say a word to us besides 'Welcome'.