Chapter Seven - Empty, Bloody Hands

The headache that had plagued me was quickly turning into a migraine. Whether it was from the constant arguing of all the leaders of the surrounding countries or my lack of sleep, I wasn't sure. The only thing I knew for a fact was the Duke spoke loudly enough for three kingdoms and wasn't doing anything to lessen the throbbing in my temples.

It was my fault though, the arguing. My lack of sleep and Snow's absence had made me foolishly brave enough to ask for other kingdoms to assist Ranait the way I would. Needless to say, I had caused an uproar that had so far lasted almost an hour.

"There is no reason to support Ranait!" The Duke shouted across the table at a chieftain. "Since they've been invaded we have prospered. No more raids. No more bargaining with heathens who spend their time drenched in blood or praying to an ashen god."

The proud chieftain, with his necklace of bones, looked like he wanted to spit on the Duke. I felt the same way.

"The Mother will provide," One of the Children of the Plains said softly, almost drowned out by the others. The poor old man could barely get his voice above a whisper. "If this is the path they are meant to take, we can not intervene."

Like hell we can't.

The Slegian delegate spat something in her native language, most likely a curse. I couldn't really be sure, though, all their words sounded the same. So angry and throaty.

"The day I take advice from a bunch of politicians who can't decide who is leading their country is the day this damned kingdom will have a season other than winter." The Duke shot back, downing the last of his wine and nearly slamming it back on the table.

The Slegian's face went as red as the Duke's shirt, and she opened her mouth to speak. Whatever it was, part of me wanted to hear it. But she was interrupted by a sweet, commanding voice that quieted the room almost instantly.

"If I am correct, dear Duke, your own country is very much in debt, yes?" The ebony queen spoke with a raised eyebrow. "Perhaps you should not criticize a country that is doing much better than your own."

It was the Duke's turn to redden, and the whole table of leaders chuckled and seemed to relax. The ebony queen was new and, much like myself, hadn't spoken much the entire meeting. But it was clear that she had a knack for putting obnoxious men in their place.

She looked over at me with kind golden eyes, nodding to me

She looked over at me with kind golden eyes, nodding to me. "Queen Maris, please continue."

I would've rathered a nap or a cake but returned her smile and pushed myself to my feet. I was very glad then of Alice's choice of extravagant clothes. The table fell completely silent again as all eyes trained back on me. I had the strangest sense of deja vu; the meeting had started very similarly. But my head hadn't hurt as much and I hadn't been nearly as annoyed.