Chapter Six - The Queen and The Huntsman

"Leave us."

Zepher's eyebrows rose questioningly, his body language betraying his reluctance. "Leave, Your Grace?"

"Yes, I am quite safe Zepher." I told the captain of the guard. I attempted a smile to reassure him, but he still looked hesitant. But, in the end, he nodded, bowing and leaving quickly with the other gaurd.

"Your captain worries for you." The Huntsman mused.

"Should he?" I stepped off the dais.

"I have no intention of harming you, Your Majesty."

Almost against my will, a smile tugged at the corners of my mouth. He had such a strange effect on me. I knew I should be afraid of him, yet . . . I couldn't bring myself to. I felt more fascination than anything else.

Putting the knife in the same hand as the apple, I held the two out to him. The fruit was marked only where my nails had dug in, and where the knife had sliced once. He raised an eyebrow at me.

"Among my people, that's a symbol of peace."

"I know." I replied. "It's also a promise of allegiance."

"You've done your research." He took the apple and the knife, cutting himself a slice and popping it in his mouth. "Why?"

"Maybe I simply wanted to know you better."

He barked a laugh, his eyes twinkling. "You're far too smart for that, Your Majesty. Why am I here?"

Smart man. Maybe too smart? But what was the point of hiding my intentions now. I needed his help.

"Walk with me?" I offered, and he nodded.

I stepped away from the shadow of the throne, the Huntsman by my side. He didn't question me when I lead him behind the dais, to a small door hidden by the throne. As I unlocked it, I began to realize there wasn't much he would question. A man like him didn't have to. But when I opened the door, I could hear him take a small breath, and I hid the smile that graced my lips. So he could be surprised.

"Did you think we were devoid of beautiful things such as flowers?" I asked as we stepped into the large greenhouse. The humid heat was welcome and enveloped me like a blanket. The glass roof soared above our heads, letting in plenty of sunlight for the numerous plants living there. From tropical flowers to tough plants, they filled the magnificent room. A heady fragrance from the many blooms gave a delicious scent, and an illusion of a season other than winter.

"I come here sometimes to escape

"I come here sometimes to escape." I told him, stepping onto one of the stone paths.

"I can see why." He murmured. He stayed close to my side, taking in everything the greenhouse had to offer. The pond, the trees, it didn't matter. But once he had taken his fill of the surroundings, his gaze returned back to me.