Chapter Sixteen - Silver Whispers

Ugh, sorry about the late update guys. I had to do some extensive world building since this story won't stay in Krithane forever. Well, this one will, but others will take place elsewhere. And I'm still not done with it. Eventually I would like to get a map drawn out of all the kingdoms buuuuuut I have to actually place those kingdoms first. XD Not an easy task, let me tell you. But, enough with the excuses! The mines are super duper important and we'll be seeing new sides to Maris and Beck very soon! Music today is from one of my favorite games of all time, Dragon Age Inquisition.
Enjoy!

It was pitch black.

I wasn't quite sure what I expected. We were underground, after all. But the shadows pressed ominously against us, their black fingers seeming to reach out to try to snuff out the torch in Klob's hand. He was shaking. It was evident in the way the flames danced sporadically against the stone walls. He seemed even more terrified than before, which was saying a lot. Whether he was scared of Snow, or what other beings he had ominously hinted at earlier, I wasn't sure. I probably didn't want to find out either.

Klob led us down, down, down into the depths of the mines. He took us through so many different tunnels, turning down many smaller ones. But he never faltered. In fact, despite his fear, it was obvious he knew his way very well, and was proud of that.

Beck was close behind me, so close I could feel the warmth radiating from him. It was comforting knowing that he was near. That, no matter what came from the shadows, he'd be there to help. Hopefully he wouldn't get himself hurt in the process, but even Snow hadn't been able to hurt him physically. If anything, the Huntsman might be the most dangerous thing in the mines.

"How far do these mines go?" Tristan asked. After so long of silence, the boom of his voice made me jump. I wasn't the only one.

"I'm not sure," I admitted. "Since the mines are one of Krithane's only source of income, they're large. There's several entrances all along the mountain range. The biggest one comes out near Vega Pass and in the capital city, Stralewick."

"The big city squatting on the mountain range is right over the mine's entrance?" I could practically hear Beck frowning behind me. "Is that smart?"

"What else besides silver and foul mouthed miners are going to come out of there, Huntsman?" Tristan retorted.

"Mines are old," Klobs finally spoke up since entering the the depths. "Not always mines."

"Well that's . . . comforting," Beck sighed.

"We'll be fine," I tried to sound reassuring. Whether for his sake or mine, I didn't know.

Silence fell. I couldn't hear anything save the uneven fall of Klob's footsteps, and the breathing of my companions. With silence came the shouting of my own thoughts, and they inevitably turned to Tristan.

I couldn't lie, I was happy to see Tristan again. I was also ecstatic to know that Thayer had found a cure for him. Whatever poison Snow had inflicted upon him seemed to have gone away, and he looked as strong and capable as ever.

A part of me had been worried that even when I managed to bring Snow down it wouldn't have cured Tristan. At least now, no matter the outcome, I had my old friend back. It would be just like the old days, although there would be significantly less invisible dragons to fight.