Chapter ~ 2

[Dedication]: for loving it!!!

~ Chapter 2: Alter Egos Are the Worst When Trying to Get a Spy ~

Out of all the things she could have taken, my Jade was not one I expected. You can't do anything with a dragon scale. You can't sell it, you can't break it (there's a myth that dragon scales horde gold inside them. Yeah, I know. Idiots.), and you can't wear it out in public unless you have a dragon to go along with it. If I had a blue dragon scale and she had a blue dragon of about that same shade I could understand why she might take it. But I have a black dragon. And there's only one of those. Besides she apparently doesn't know anything about Dragon Riders, which is strange. Dragon Riders aren't rare at all, everyone knows about them.

But the theft of my Jade also makes me wonder if she knew I was a Rider, or if she thought I'd stolen it off of someone else. I'm not a thief and I don't resort myself to hunting down thieves but I might have to do just that. My Jade does more than just protect others from my Multi ability, it also protects me. If I lose control (which hasn't happened) I would cause more damage to myself than anyone else, but I'd take a few casualties down with me, and that I can't have happen.

But Kip already abandoned camp. Even the fire ashes were hidden and the smell of smoke disbanded. If I didn't already have knowledge that a fire had been there, I wouldn't have known.

"Oh, she's good." Cai says, looking through my eyes with the same rage I feel bubbling inside my chest, just beneath my heart. I huff and turn to continue the way I need to be going. "You're not going to hunt her down?"

"I don't have time. I've already lost too many hours from falling down the cliff, I need to get to Wild Fairy and find Shepard."

"You know it'd only take you a second." Cai's right. It would only take me a second. My ability doesn't just allow me to use others' powers but I can locate anyone I've met before and basically hunt them down. Sometimes it's a mile or two off, but since she has something of mine, it'd be very accurate. Coal and I experimented with it over the last two weeks, seeing how my Multi works and what my limits are.

"I can't risk anything happening."

Cai sighs. "I know."

We both doubt that I'll ever lose control, mostly because I'm not the biggest fan of my abilities, but there's still that nagging feeling that someday I might. And now that my Jade is gone, I have to be even more careful in using the power stored inside me.

"Tonight I'll locate her, but I won't hunt her down. I don't have time. If she passes the Jade off, I'll know, but there's a chance she took it just because she could, and now realizes it's of no use."

"If she tosses it, you'll have a harder time finding it."

"I know, just... just let me get to Wild Fairy, I need to talk to Shepard, and then I'll worry about everything else."