Chapter ~ 7

~ Chapter 7: Biting Broncos and Wild Wolves ~

I stare at the dark, star dotted sky above the world. Stargazing isn't something I make a habit of doing, but sometimes I just need a reminder of how small I am in this world. We can see a star lightyears away. If that doesn't make you feel like a speck of dust, then I'm sorry your ego is so big that you can't enjoy a clear night's sky.

Unlike the sun and moon, the constellations are our own. We steal the sun's heat and the moon's light from Earth, but not the stars. They are our own mystery. Unlike Earth humans, none of us have traveled into that void. The highest we ever get is on our dragons, not any more into the atmosphere. I think we like knowing that there's a place we can't touch. Earth has been inhabited and overrun with Supernaturals for so long that we basically control the planet under the unsuspecting humans' noses. But because of that there's no knowledge hidden from us. So, our stars have remained something we don't want to explore. No one from Fantasy grows up wanting to be an astronaut, and in the rare chance that someone does, they go to Earth to fulfill that dream.

"Your mind is troubled, Smoke." Cai says quietly, shifting slightly to curl tighter around me, like he can take away my troubles with comfort. It almost works.

I woke a while ago with so much knowledge and so many more questions. The Kelp had been helpful, but also, not so much. She just put more questions into my already overburdened brain. The loudest one right now is; what in Flame is going on? And I just don't have an answer to that and I really wish I did. It'd make life a couple million times easier.

"Just pondering a left turn from a right."

Cai snorts softly. "More like deciding what to tell your friend, sister, and cousin, and what not to."

"I said that."

"No, you –" Cai sighs, flicking his ear in annoyance. "Fine, never mind."

"What do you think I should do?"

"Tell them. They need to know. Especially after all the Kelp just told you." Sometimes I like Cai in my head, other times I don't. I literally can't keep anything from him. "Kelps are known for speaking only the truth."

"Yes, but a Kelp's help isn't ever free."

"Apparently, hers was."

"I won't believe that until she tells me so."

Cai shrugs his broad shoulders. "You should still tell them. Coming from you will be better than them figuring out from someone else and feeling betrayed. Besides, it's Anakin's dad we're talking about. He really deserves to know."

I sigh. "Tell him that his dad pain me to get him out of jail, might not be the best idea."

"Technically, you didn't take the money."