Chapter ~ 11

The next few chapters I had the help of music to write. This chapter's theme song is: Warrior Daughter by Wildwood Kin.

~ Chapter 11: Cold... It's so Cold and Lonely, this Walk of Love ~

Love is a strong emotion. It can come and do as it pleases. Give warm hugs, humble kings to give to the needy, and destroy the planet. Love is said to conquer all. Conquer as in rid the world of evil, but it could also make the world an evil place. Love can drive someone insane. Love can tear someone in half. Love conquers all, and it kills without thought or consequence. Love is an emotion without feeling.

And yet, I'm not sure I can describe what I feel for Cai in any other way. I love him. It's strange to say aloud, but even stranger to continue thinking on it. I love him so much that I believe I could conquer the world. In fact, my love for Cai could drive me to hunt Darcy down and kill her myself. Because she has not only taken over the mind of the queen of Fantasy – my grandmother, but she's captured the one thing that drives me.

I blink back tears and stare at my hands.

Cai isn't coming any time soon. He's trapped to the point of broken, and there's nothing I can do about it but give him company.

Nyt pulls us to a stop and dismounts his elk. I don't move to follow, love is a strong emotion, but right now it's stuck inside me and I can't make myself do anything. Nyt understands, of course he does. He's in my head after all. I can feel him watching me, gauging me for anything. Thankfully it's only him watching as Neesh decided to go off on her own after – apparently – promising to come and help us out should we need it. I have no idea how that's going to work, but we'll see. I do wonder why I haven't said anything about it. Why didn't I voice that it was probably a really bad idea to send a Demon into the populated world?

Well, I guess I can actually answer that one for myself.

Cai.

"Why can't I just locate him?" I whisper into the cold air. My breath fogs around me and I realize it's gotten dark. We've traveled the day away, moving aimlessly because my powers aren't working.

"Darcy is in league with Witches and a very powerful Vin'tery, there's no telling what magic she's had cast to hide Cai's location, even from your powerful mind."

His words are of little comfort, but I know he's trying and I mentally thank him for that.

"At least you're not alone." Cai whispers. His voice has remained a low, nearly emotionless tone ever since we've made contact, as if he conserving energy to speak to me. Which doesn't make sense, because our talking to each other should be as easy as breathing.