Chapter ~ 9

~ Chapter 9: A Boy Named Shoe-Night – Poor Boy ~

Breathing hurts.

It wheezes past my lips, through my clattering teeth, and down my parched throat only to rub against the tender insides of my lungs. I can't breathe properly. Something has made the air thick and it tastes strange on my tongue. My mind has shut down everything to keep me alive and I can feel my powers lashing out at each other trying to heal me, but failing. There's a block set over them. Just like there's a block between Cai and I.

The Angel they've laced the food with doesn't help in any way.

When I woke up, I knew instantly where I was and how I'd gotten there; the Tower "Prison" of Graceland hadn't changed much in the past week or so. I knew Filly's water had been contaminated with something to knock me out along with Angel to hinder my powers, although I don't believe she did it. I can't. Filly wouldn't betray me like that. Not someone she continued to call her only friend. There's a reason and my tired, overwhelmed brain just can't find one. It will, and I'll understand.

My head rolls along the cold floor in the direction of the door as it opens. There's a bed between me and the opening, and then the bracelet around my wrist creates a barrier between that bed and door – it makes an invisible line I can't cross without being shocked so extremely I'll black out. I've done it enough to know. I opted for the hard floor instead of the soft bed because the coldness helps me breathe and calms my thoughts.

Soft steps followed by two pairs of heavy boots. Apparently she's finally decided to deal with me.

Good. Maybe I can get rid of some unwanted tension in my shoulders, and give her a few black eyes before Elk and Fawn descend down on me.

"My, my, grandmother, what a lovely aura you have around you today. You're looking absolutely angry." I'm not being completely sarcastic. She does look ready to topple a couple kingdoms.

"You are being very uncooperative." She says. She stands there in her royal grey and green robes, a crown of bronze dragons snarling and fighting sits atop her long black hair. For a moment I envy her, I want my long, glorious locks of black hair back. But for now, I'm glad there's that difference between us. Because I don't anything to do with this women.

"My, my, grandmother, what a temper you have today. Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?"

"Stop playing, Smoke, and tell me where Coven is." Her hands fists.

Good, maybe she'll cross the line in her anger and I can show her how I've fought off the Angel, how I've controlled my anger into power. Come on, one more step.

"My, my, grandmother, what a problem you have. Big eyes and yet no sight. Big ears, and yet deaf. Large teeth, but no bite. Darcy must just keep you around because only your bloodline can rule."