Chapter ~ 4

~ Chapter 4: Fairies Wearing Pickles: Don't Eat Him ~

The old man looks familiar. I can't tell where I've seen him before, but I'm sure I have. Or perhaps it's not me who's seen him, but my lady, and I've recognized him from a dream or a quick glance, because he is definitely none of my lady's acquaintances; I remember and like most of those people. I do not like this man. He's too harsh looking; too rugged and fierce. His green eyes are unnerving. And he has horns. What human has horns?

I might not like the auburn haired girl that has taken me away from my lady, but I do feel pity for her as she struggles to free herself from the bounding rope.

The old man grimaces when he sits back rubbing at him hand. He tried to take me away from this girl, but I wouldn't let him. I shouldn't have let the thief take me from my lady, and I've regretted that, but now I will not allow this mean man to steal me from the thief.

"Child," says the man. The girl stops struggling and her fear triples in force as she lifts her head to look at him. "I will free you, on two conditions. First, you remove the necklace – it does not belong to you, and second, you take me to the one you stole it from."

The girl continues to shake in her fear. "I –" she clears her throat, but it doesn't strengthen her voice. "I can't take it off." Well, that is true. I wasn't about to let her throw me away, who knows what evil person would pick me up, and at least if I stay with the auburn haired girl I know my lady can put a face to the one who bears me.

Oh, Lady Smoke, I wish you would hurry up. I'm not sure how much longer I can protect myself and this thief.

There's a cold bite to the way the shackles grip my wrists and it reminds me of the first time I put my Jade on, as if they are draining me of my powers

There's a cold bite to the way the shackles grip my wrists and it reminds me of the first time I put my Jade on, as if they are draining me of my powers. But these are not like my Jade. If they were, a presence would have entered my head to allow me the option of exploring my abilities. No, these are having the opposite effect. They're eating my powers and leaving me bare and weak. It doesn't help that my head is pounding from meeting the butt of a sword.