f o u r || hi, i'm liam

Dedicated to @analogically because Martin and Blake are absolutely hilarious.

-----

It's a hectic day at the glass-paneled office. The phone has been ringing nonstop, the lines just going off the hook. It's ten o'clock, and she has the phone in between her ear and her shoulder as she tries to multitask, her dinner going cold on the table. There hasn't been enough time for a break all day.

Hoping that this will be the last call of the day, she exhales lightly before she says, "Hello, thank you so much for calling AskAway. We—"

"I knew that if I called at ten again, I would get you! I tried calling the other day, but you weren't there." There's a hint happiness in the voice she has come to recognize now.

"Do you always have to interrupt me? Most people wait until I'm finished, you know?"

He laughs, and she imagines that he's throwing his head back. As he speaks, she can't help but wonder how he looks. "That way you'll always know it's me."

"So you were the one that hung up on Cynthia the other day. Huh?"

"Sorry," he mumbles, embarrassment riddled in his tons. "I really didn't mean to hang up so quickly, but it wasn't the same as talking to you."

The compliment squeezes her heart in ways she can't explain, but she ignores it for both of their sakes. "So, what's up with Delilah now?"

"I need you to help me with a plan to catch her in the act."

"I'm afraid you've come to the wrong person. I'm the least stealthy person you'll ever know."

"How about I just bounce ideas off of you then?" he asks, partially wanting to stay on the phone with her and in need of answers at the same time. "You can be my backboard."

"I didn't know this was basketball," she jokes. "But okay, shoot."

"That was punny." His laugh has a rhythm to it like an addictively catchy song on the radio. "So, I'm thinking I could work at the restaurant in my free time in addition to my shifts and try to see if she comes there again."

She continues to listen, taking note of everything he is saying.

"Or should I just follow her like in the movies and catch her redhanded?" he asks. "But they say life is never like the movies. Hmmm."

"Or . . ." she interrupts him, "you could just check her phone for text messages and calls first before you do anything you might regret. And work from there."

There's a pause of silence before he says, "This is exactly why I wanted to talk to you. You always know exactly what to say. Thank you."

"It's sort of my job, but I guess this is the part where I should say you're welcome."

She feels like she has done nothing to help him tonight even though he has thanked her. He's so much stronger than he thinks he is.

"You know what I just realized?" she says after a realization crosses her mind, striking her right in the head.

"What?" he asks.

"I don't even know your name."

"Hi, I'm Liam."