t w e n t y - t w o || tomorrow

Dedicated to Shevon because she's one of my favorite authors on here and I'm amazed at all of her stories.

-----

"I'll talk to you tomorrow or something, okay?"

These words continuously replay in Nessa's mind for some reason the next day, Liam's voice accompanying the promise. She's never really been the type of girl who sits around twiddling her thumbs, waiting hopelessly for some boy to call her back. But it's kind of difficult to avoid hopelessly sitting around when she works at a relationship hotline and it's her job to wait for the phone to ring.

The phone rings multiple times during the day, and Nessa hates how her heart skips a beat every time she picks up the line. At one point, she notices her hands starting to shake. She can't believe herself—she's nervous about a phone call from a boy she's never even seen a picture of let alone met.

A part of her hopes it's Liam at the beginning of  the calls, but she's painfully disappointed every time. She's been counting the number of phone calls she's taken. By the time the clock strikes seven, she's at 23 phone calls. It might be a new record, but she doesn't normally count.

Two more calls make it through before ten o'clock comes marching through the door. Nessa waits patiently, resting her hand against her desk. Liam misses his slot at 10:00 sharp, but Nessa continues to wait. There have been other times where he's been late. This is what she tells herself.

Thirty minutes later, it's 10:30, and the phone still hasn't rang.

It won't ring.