Chapter 8

After your little chat with Lahar and Mest, you finally got paid. They needed you to stay in the town while they made arrangements for the plan. They said it could take a few days and they needed to make sure we stayed where they could find us. Apparently we are hard people to find. With my surfing and Laxus' constant travelling, they needed a lot of resources to track us down. But that didn't get rid of the feeling that you were being watched. It followed you around town to the hotel. You'd never stayed in a hotel before, you wondered what it was like.

Even when you lived with your master you lived deep in the caves, high up a mountain. It meant you were pretty much weather proof. You were never really cold. Of course, you felt the cold, but not as much as other people. From what you observed anyway, Laxus, despite his large fluffy coat, didn't really seem bothered by the cold either.

"Sparky," you whisper, "I think we're being followed," casually glancing over your shoulder you try to spot anyone suspicious but the small crowd behind you was mostly families enjoying their day. Smiling, laughing and not one of them glanced at you. You frowned and looked back at Laxus who's face hadn't changed.

"I know," he grumbled silently, "I'm trying to catch a scent but..." Laxus paused, unsure how to continue.

"What?" You asked, worry bubbling.

"It's almost like they're not there. I hear them following, but when I try to sniff they disappear."

You curse under your breath at Laxus' words, "they're a storm mage," you whisper to him, your eyes no longer on the street but staring up at the sky, "I developed lightning surfing based off a spell called cloud body and my lightning strike, I merged them together so that I could ride lightning without dying. What they're doing is stalking in a cloud form, water mages created a similar spell called water body based off of this spell. It's untraceable magic," Laxus nods. Lahar was right earlier; you didn't have enough time execute your plan as it seems they were already here.

"What do you do?" You asked, knowing Laxus had a lot more experience in these situation then you.

"We give them a show," Laxus smirks, "besides, as long as they don't try anything we just need to wait for those magic council goods and we'll be alright."

You nod your head and continue to lead Laxus to the hotel, you had seen it before during your visits and you were sure you knew the way. You tried ignored the feeling that you were being followed and let yourself get excited at the prospect of staying at a hotel. You've never had the money too. Your money consisted of what your master left you. How he got his vast fortune you didn't know but you had never needed money anyway. You knew how to forage, fish and hunt for food. But you bought food that you couldn't find growing on a bush or that you couldn't hunt or fish.

The pouch that sat on your hit was the most amount of money you had ever seen, it was even weighing you down slightly, "can you believe we got paid so much?" You say excitedly, "it means we don't have to hunt for food!"

Laxus raised a brow as he glanced at you from the corner of his eye, "you're honestly telling me this was the most amount of money you have ever seen?"

You nodded enthusiastically, oblivious to the sympathetic look Laxus was giving you, "I've never had a job before. This is my first one, I usually stay in caves or up trees. I've never stayed in a hotel!"

"Not even when you were living with your master?"

"Nope," you pop the 'p', "he said a Storm Mage should brave the elements as they were one of the most powerful ones. He wouldn't let me stay in hotels when he was alive, and when he died there wasn't enough money and I had to track down the spells so I didn't really have time to get a job."