two

sophia was back home in her small, cramped bedroom. it was filled with useless decor and clutter, but that's just how she liked it.

some of her friends tend to jokingly refer to her as a hoarder, but sophia doesn't mind. she feels no need to get rid of things that have once had the least bit of importance to her. maybe that's why she always has such a hard time letting go.

the tired brunette sat cross-legged on her frumpy bed; it was a twin that she had had since she was young. it was very uncomfortable, but she didn't care to purchase a new one.

holding the ripped slip of paper in her hand, she wracked her brain for an explanation on what the words scribbled onto it could possibly mean.

"sorry, kalani. i always win." sophia whispered, reading the words off the paper for the one hundredth time since jordyn had dropped her off.

sophia didn't dare tell jordyn about the papers or her theories, she would have just thought sophia was overreacting and overanalyzing yet again.

it was now 7:00pm and sophia had just finished shovelling a bowl of chinese
takeout noodles into her mouth. she had spent hours staring at this piece of paper. what does it mean?

okay, sophia, you have no plans as per usual, and you'll just end up wasting your night trying to crack the code of this note. go to sleep. she finally thought, giving up for the night.

sophia fell back onto her soft pillow and closed her eyes, only to be disturbed minutes later with a pounding knock on her door.

groaning, she jumped out of bed and stomped towards the door.

"yes?" sophia spoke dully, swinging the front door open.

stood in front of her was jordyn, once again, followed by jordyn's party friend, taylor.

sophia would sometimes worry she'd be replaced by taylor, simply because taylor and jordyn were so similar personality wise that they could be the same person.

they were both dressed up in suffocatingly tight mini dresses with faces completely caked in piles of heavy, dramatic make-up. they stood on her porch, grinning brightly at sophia, who could hardly keep her eyes open.

"want to come to a party with us tonight?" jordyn asked the bored looking girl, wiggling her eyebrows and lifting up a pair of black heels she was holding in her right hand.

"no, i'm actually really busy tonight. sorry, perhaps another time!" sophia declined, stifling a yawn and attempting to shut the door on the two perky girls before either of them could get another word out.

but to sophia's dismay, taylor was fast enough to put her foot in between the door to stop it from fully closing and opened it all the way again.

"no offence, but you're CLEARLY not doing anything tonight." taylor pointed out, motioning to sophia's outfit with a look of disgust.

"hey!" sophia pouted, slightly hurt.
she looked down at her pyjamas.

her pants were blue, fuzzy, and had yellow rubber ducks printed on them. her tank top was bright pink in colour and her hair was tied up in a messy bun. evident, dry mascara stains could be seen under her eyes.

"please?" jordyn pleaded softly. "you know, cameron might be there." she added, winking.

at this, sophia considered joining them. she hadn't seen her boyfriend of 2 years in forever.

they'd met junior year of high school, and it was what you would call "love at first sight". people constantly came up to sophia to gush about how attractive her boyfriend is and how they've always wanted a relationship like theirs.

now that they're back to school in college, they've both had different time schedules, making it hard for them to make time for each other. well, it was more one-sided. sophia always had some free time on her hands.

it had been a while since they'd last been face to face, but she knew that cameron never missed a party, and she so desperately wanted to see him.

sophia sighed begrudgingly. "okay, fine. but come in. i need you two to help with my hair and make-up." sophia instructed.

  ***

"aaand...almost finished." jordyn smiled, curling the last piece of sophia's silky auburn hair.

meanwhile, taylor was finalizing sophia's dark red matte lipstick.

sophia was wearing a classic little black dress and the heels that jordyn had brought along for her. nothing special, nothing new. but she still needed to look cute and collected to see cameron.

"alright, all done." taylor smiled, stepping back to admire her work.

jordyn had completed sophia's hair and went around to look at the finished product. taylor and jordyn high-fived.

"looking good." taylor commented.

"we did amazing." jordyn nodded.

sophia clapped, looking at herself in the mirror. they were right. she did look amazing.

"okay ladies, let's go." taylor cheered, leading the three of them out of sophia's house.

sophia took a deep breath, as realization began to hit her. after kalani's passing, she'd become a huge introvert. just the thought of socializing with people that she wasn't close to made her queasy.

she hadn't been to a single college party since kalani. an entire year.

but nonetheless, the trio piled into taylor's fancy new car and drove off towards their destination.

                                  -
      happy birthday to my husband
shawn mendes ily bby