ten (epilouge)

bostyn's pov

"we are gathered here today in memorial to celebrate the life of sophia maria lucia. a kind, giving person and loyal friend to all."

the room was completely silent as everyone in it was feeling solemn.

"her life may have been short-lived, but it was long enough to leave a strong presence on our hearts. she touched us all with her genuine, honest soul. she lived her life filled with integrity, something we all wish to do."

"she died a cruel, cruel death, but will now be smiling down on us from heaven, reunited with her best friend, kalani hilliker."

"she may be gone from this earth, but never forgotten. may she rest peacefully with the angels. until we meet again."

soon everyone filed out of the church, to go to the graveyard where sophia had been buried. it was a rainy day, and bostyn's shoes were soaked with water from stepping in too many puddles. beside her was sophia's good friend jordyn, who's eyes were red and tired.

"need a tissue?" bostyn offered with a sad smile, extending her one from a pack she kept in her coat pocket.

"i don't cry. i never cry." jordyn told her stiffly, which led to an awkward silence.   bostyn could tell she had been crying. sophia would normally be the one to break it, so that's something bostyn must get used to. silence.

sophia's body was found last week, soaked in blood with her neck cut open.   since then, her brother was missing also. bostyn couldn't help but think that he might have died looking for her, too, or ran away, too heartbroken to process the thought of his loss.

the only thing laying at the scene of the crime was a small note with only seven words written on it.

i'm so sorry.
i should've saved you.

bostyn had just lost the best friend she could ever have. but she won't live in sadness, or fear of the unknown. she would go out and be happy, for sophia. live the life sophia would have wanted for herself.

maybe sophia never got closure for what happened to kalani, but maybe she did that final night. all she knew was that she would never truly know why she died.

standing in front of her best friend's tomb, she placed a few daffodils on the front. inspecting what was written on the grave, she noticed something else on it. apparently jordyn had, too.

"what's that?" jordyn asked, pointing to the thing that had also sparked bostyn's interest.

a piece of paper. intigued, she picked it up and began to read it aloud for the two of them. after reading it, the two shared a look.

sorry, sophia
i always win.

                                   -

that's a wrap!
thank you so much for reading,
i really appreciate it
— cece