four

sophia wrapped her sweater made of incredibly thin material tightly around her petite, shivering body, hoping to provide herself with some extra warmth.

she left the party in such a hurry that she had forgotten it was pouring rain outside.

sophia couldn't take taylor's car without her because she didn't have the car keys and it would have left the two of them stranded.

so, soaking wet, sophia hurried down the empty street, avoiding large puddles as she jogged. her house was a few blocks away now, and she had been walking briskly for 15 minutes.

sophia felt her phone vibrate in her pocket, and knowing it was either cameron, jordyn or taylor, she chose to ignore it.

she increased her speed and began to take larger steps as the rain started pelting down faster.

sophia only slowed her pace when she passed by an extremely familiar, modern two story.

kalani and her family's house. from the looks of things, her family wasn't home. there was no car in the driveway and no lights were on. a "for sale" sign was planted in the freshly cut grass.

the edges of the sophia's lips turned down. she understood why they'd want to move; living in that house would trigger a lot of memories and remind them of their deceased daughter so constantly.

but she still didn't want the hilliker's to move. she liked talking to them on occasion and waving at them as they walked down the street.

with them all still living in that house that sophia had been to countless times, it made her feel like maybe kalani really was still there just visiting her family and would come back to their apartment that they shared and everything would be normal again.

abruptly, something overcame sophia. she found herself walking up to the porch and looking under the rock that they kept on the second step. she still knew where they hid their spare key.

sliding the key into the lock, the sopping wet brunette looked around. with the coast clear, she quickly unlocked the door and stepped in.

she was immediately hit by the smell of gingerbread, one of kira's favourite thing to bake in november to get jax and jett (and previously kalani) excited for the christmas season.

it was the family's first christmas without kalani, and she knew without a doubt it will be extremely hard for them.

climbing the steps two at a time, sophia turned the corner into kalani's old bedroom, which was first on the right.

her room seemed to be untouched from the last time that their daughter was in it. it was still fairly clean though, since she hadn't been living there when she passed away.

her bedroom walls were a lilac purple and her bed was neatly made. her closet was full of expensive-looking clothing and her favourite pairs of shoes lined the floor.

sophia's eyes teared up when she noticed kalani's old bulletin board still hung up on her wall.

slowly approaching it, she looked at all the pictures posted onto it. 95% of them were just of kalani and sophia.

there was a candid of the two girls laughing with bright, wide smiles at the pier. there was two with the both of them at their favourite amusement park; one at the top of a ferris wheel, and one on a merry-go-round.

there was one with sophia who had an ice cream cone pressed ontonher forehead making a funny face and kalani cracking up beside her.

there was another one with the two girls on halloween. kalani was a ladybug and sophia was a bumblebee. they looked to be about six years old. both girls were missing their two front teeth.

sophia couldn't bear to look at them anymore. there were more photos but she was blinking back her tears and wanted to get out of their house right away before they came home.

as she was about to head for the door, tears threatening to overflow and spill down her cheeks, one last thing posted on the bulletin board caught her eye. a white slip of paper.

you're running out of time, kalani.
it's sophia or yourself.
and i can't wait to do the honours.

                                  -

i h8 high school