June 20, 1943

A/N: Dates are almost completely arbitrary and/or based on rough guestimates of how much time it might take for the letters/V-mail to cross the oceans, etc., while still fitting in the loose timeframe that CA:tFA gives us. Additionally, I am going with dates that the actual movie gave me (eg. Steve's enlistment form at the beginning of tFA says June 14th, 1943, so I'm going with the natural assumption Bucky left on the 15th) and picking and choosing which additional dates from the wiki I'll use ... 'cause the two sources don't match up...a lot...

I will also admit I am fudging military-oriented details too, either because I couldn't find the information I needed or because the reality didn't quite fit with my narrative. I did do some research (v-mail really was a fascinating practice, let me tell you, and I even looked up the calendars!), but I will be frank and admit I don't have the time or, honestly, the inclination to do a serious amount of research. This is, after all, just a little bit of fun.

Further, while in my head this takes place in the same story-verse as my other MCU stories, it is effectively a stand alone work.

***

This is based solely on the Marvel Cinematic Universe live-action films. There is nothing from comics, animated films or animated shows with barest hints, if any, to the live-action shows save the odd bit of inspiration. The MCU and all recognizable characters are sadly not mine. I only own my tweaks and my characters. If they weren't in the movies I made them up.

It has also been posted on fanfiction.net and AO3 under the same title and penname.

***

June 20, 1943

Dear Bucky,

I know you only shipped out last week, and that you are probably nowhere close to reaching your base camp or wherever it is that you military men stay when you've been shipped out, but I can't seem to help it. I miss you already. You would think the time you spent away at training would have gotten me used to the idea of not having you around. But it's so different knowing you aren't even in the same country as the rest of us.

It still doesn't feel real, that you've gone off to join the War. I keep expecting to come home and find you bickering with Danny or teasing Mom or giving Jack tips on how to talk to girls. It's so different without you here. It is—I don't want to say dull, because it isn't. Jack seems to be making sure of that. You told him to try and keep our spirits up, didn't you. He's doing the best he can, and it's an admirable job, but he just isn't you, Bucky.

But it really does feel different. I know, I keep saying it, but it's true. There's a very real sense that everything has changed. Of course, it has. It changed the minute the War started, even before America joined it. But it feels different in a way I never expected.

I don't know when you'll get this letter. Maybe it will be waiting for you when you arrive. I like to think it will get their first. It can be a little reminder of home when you reach your base. To keep you from getting homesick. Not that you'll admit that.

Be careful, Bucky. Please? And hurry up and win the War. You've barely been gone and already Danny is lording over me and Jack like he's the man of the house. I suppose he is, after a fashion, with you gone, but he's really trying too hard. It's really quite insufferable. He tried to tell me I shouldn't go to the pictures yesterday simply because there were going to be boys there. One of them was Jack, Bucky! I mean, honestly.

But I suppose I shouldn't complain about that too much, either. He's going to be leaving in a couple of weeks too. He's expecting his orders to report for basic training any day, now. Soon enough he'll be leaving for training and then after that he will be off to the Front. Just like you.

And now Jack's talking about enlisting too! If he does, that's going to be all three of you gone. What will happen to Mom and me if all of you leave us? It will definitely be boring then.

Be safe Bucky. You are my favorite brother, after all.

Just don't tell Danny and Jack I said that.

Lots of love,

Your sister,

Beatrice.

A/N: Thanks for reading!

If you enjoyed, I'd love to hear about it! And the best ways to do that are to vote and comment!! And the best way to hear about updates is to follow me!

Happy Reading!